Painting copper gutters

I want to paint copper gutters to match my trim, an off white, but have been warned it will peel. Is there any good system for painting these gutters. I need to use copper gutters because it is a copper rrof, and I am afraid aluminum or galvanized would react to the copper residue coming off of the roof. Or maybe I should use plastic.

John Atchley
- Lakeville, Connecticut, USA

1. You will have problems with paint adhesion to plastic gutters.

2. I have painted copper gutters, after cleaning with an abrasive e.g. Scotchbrite pad and so far they have lasted for 15 years.

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York

I have an older home which has its original copper guttering and downspouts. Recently, one of the downspouts was damaged and needed to be replaced. All the rest of the guttering is painted and I want to paint this downspout to match. How do I do this? Is there any special prep needed? What type of paint is used?

Jim Sparks
- St Louis, Missouri, USA

We need to paint copper clad windows any help ? What we have tried comes off with finger nail.

RAND BLITSTEIN
window of broward - FORT Lauderdale , Florida

2006

You can only paint clean shiny copper.

1. If you copper is slightly tarnished, you need to prep this with a metal polish. If it's very tarnished or fairly green, you'll have to dip the copper in acid etch, you can get this from auto/house painting supply places.
You get the best results if you start with acid etch.
2. After cleaning, you need a two-part metal primer. The metal primer bonds to the etched/preped metal, and the paint bonds to the primer.
3. You have to get a paint that bonds to metal primer, in this case it also has to be rated for the outdoors, including direct sun.

Lee Watkins
- Washington, DC