Swallowing Muriatic Acid

(2002)

Q. What would happen if someone was to swallow muriatic acid? Would it kill them? How would that work?

Denise Atwood
- Yuma, Arizona

(2002)

A. Denise,

What a weird and morbid question! To which the answer is YES ... esophagus and lung damage probably and leading, I guess, to pneumonia. R.I.P.

ANY, any acid or any alkali can kill you. This is why all containers of even highly diluted chemicals like this show warnings, i.e., they are dangerous and must never, ever be ingested.

Why the question? We, all of us who read the finishing.com, are biting our nails awaiting your response.

(2002)

Q. Why the question. Well, My class went to the Yuma Territorial Prison and I read that one of the Prisoners drank muriatic acid and I was just curious as to how that worked. My teacher thought it was a strange question too. So don't get too freaked out. L8R! & thanks for answering my question.

Denise Atwood [returning]
- Yuma, Arizona

(2002)

thumbs up signPhew ... I too, was going to answer the question the way that Freeman did, but was worried I would be "aiding and abetting"

anodizer - Boise, Idaho

(2002)

A. A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) should have this information. The MSDS will tell you what horrible things can happen if you have skin contact, inhale, ingest, etc.. There are places on the web where you can get MSDS information for free. Here is one affiliated with the University of Vermont, siri.org/msds/

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan

(2003)

A. There was also a financial real estate speculator who killed himself by swallowing muriatic acid back in 1929 in New York, just months before the Wall Street crash.

John Whittle
- charleston, South Carolina u.s.a.

(2003)

A. Interesting question! Muriatic acid is a dilute form of hydrochloric acid normally used for cleaning concrete and adjusting the pH of swimming pools. Normal stomach acid is also a very dilute form of hydrochloric acid. Yes you would die of ingesting muriatic acid....you might say that the cause of death is extreme acid indigestion!

By the way, we consume lots of acids and alkalies every day. Vinegar, orange juice, etc. are all acids...weak acids, but acids none the less. The effect depends on the strength, which is normally measured in pH.

J. Mark Runnels, PE
- Augusta, Georgia USA

Q. Hi, I was on site today using Muriatic Acid to clean mortar off the bricks. I got a bit of acid on my face. I rubbed my hand across my face and tasted Acid in my mouth. I spat out what I could and swallowed as it was a hot day. I felt fine till a few hours after. What will happen to my insides and what shall I do.

reece lloyd
Bricklayer - UK

A. Hi. You should immediately see a doctor, of course.

! Here in the Philippines I have a friend who drank muriatic acid because he wanted to end his life; luckily he didn't die. We visited the hospital and they have 2 - 3 of the same cases. He is the only one who survived. He can't speak normally that time. And we asked what did he feel when he drink that. He said, it's soooo freakin HOT then he suddenly collapsed. The next thing he knew, he's already in the hospital.

Bereng Masukat
- Cebu, Philippines

! I'm from Philippines, Catbalogan, Samar. My brother swallowed muriatic acid January 11 2017 and after the operation he is at private hospital. He is in danger as of the moment; until now he can speak well but the bleeding in right side of drainage is ongoing and he spit blood once yesterday, but it stopped after a while. What should we do to survive, my brother?

roque labana
- Catbalogan, Samar Philippines

Hi Roque. We are just metal finishers. I'm sure he is in good hands and receiving medical care in the hospital. We hope and pray for the best for him.

Q. We have an incident like that -- what are the first symptoms of the person that is in higher level in danger? SOS HELP.

kram doll
- catbalogan, philippines

A. Find a doctor, Kram! Sorry for whatever trouble someone you know is suffering, but the idea that you could assess the danger a person is in by having people thousands of miles away, who are not doctors, attempt to guess the likely symptoms is beyond ridiculous :-(

Q. Hi good day. My brother drank 50 ml of muriatic acid and he is in the hospital now, and was operated on his neck for breathing. Is thre a possibility that he will be back to normal after that? I'm just worried he might be forever using tube for his breathing. Thanks.

Jeserel escototo
- Zamboanga del norte, Philippines