Stripping finish

I have an Autococker 2000 paintball gun, and I wanted to strip the black finish off it and re-anodize it. Would I use a solution of ~ 3.5%/vol Phosphoric acid and ~ 2.0%/wt Chromic acid to strip the gun, or is there something that would work better?

Derek Treatman
- Piscataway, NJ

That sounds like the right solution to use, Derek, but who is selling a regulated, toxic, carcinogenic, material like chromic acid to hobbyists? (A rhetorical question we're going to leave unanswered).

I don't know if the finish is the same on modern autocockers, but I've stripped the black coating from aluminum bodies on old autocockers with spray-on oven cleaner. Obviously, good rubber protective gloves [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and excellent ventilation are a must.

Jack Hodan
- Vancouver, BC, Canada