The world's most popular metal finishing site, and the internet's friendliest corner

Coating stainless steel to inhibit heat treat scale growth

2001

Q. I am experiencing difficulty in removing heat treat scale from some of our stainless steel product (forgings). If particular concern are the austenitic (3xx) and precipitation hardening (15-5PH, 17-4PH, PH13-8MO) stainless steels. Our current method of removal is wheelabration and it takes so long that the raised part numbers are also removed in the process. We have tried pickling and re-wheelabrating, but this adds time and cost to the process.

Would there be a coating on the market which I could apply to the forgings prior to heat treatment to prevent the growth of oxide? This product needs to function at 1900 F for about 4 hours maximum.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Ian Mitchell
- Cheshire, Connecticut

2001

ASM Handbook vol. 4: Heat Treating

A. Foseco used to have a paint called Aniscol 11 (that's the number 11) that protected from scaling and decarburisation at austenitising temperatures. Maybe they can still supply it.

Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds
   consultant metallurgist
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
We sadly relate the news that Bill passed away on Jan. 29, 2010.

2001

thumbs up sign Thank you. To add, I did find a water based product called Ceram-Guard by AOSmith and a MEK/Toluene based product called Turco Pretreat by ELF Atochem. Anybody know of any others?

Ian Mitchell, [returning]
- Cheshire, Connecticut

2004

Q. Ian Mitchell,

Were you able to use any of the products with success? I am considering to try out the Ceram-Guard to coat precipitation hardening and martensitic steels before heat treatment. Please post your comment.

I have been using Ceram Guard CG-11 coating for martensitic and PH steels with very good results. I have noticed that scaling is almost negligible for the PH steels which scale the most during the solution anneal heat treatment. The name of the company is "A O Smith Protective coatings".

Anirudha Mahajan
Foundry - Port Arthur, Texas

Q. Does anyone know where to find any of these items? I did finally found ordering info for the Turco pretreat at $500 a 5-gallon can but can't find anything for Ceram Guard or Aniscol 11
Help?!?

jeff KNOX
KNIFE MAKER - ST LOUIS, Missouri

----
Ed. note: Those suppliers are welcome to advertise here where people are actively looking for them, and to offer their contact info, but so far they haven't chosen to. Please do your best to google for that contact info. Our supporting advertisers make this site possible for technical discussions & camaraderie and it probably isn't fair for us to ask them to also bear the cost of maintaining commercial contact info for firms who choose to not advertise here :-)

Hardening, Tempering, & Heat Treatment

Q. Annealing stainless 300 400 15-5 630 s; unable to read bar ids after multiple cycles; have purchased our first trial bucket of Ceram Guard CG-11. How thick, do I need to use multiple coats, does the material need to dry before going into a furnace? Thank you.

Michael Davisson
annealer/supervisor - Columbia City, Indiana

Remove heat treat scale from stainless steel

Q. I would like to know how to remove heat treat scale off of precipitated hardened stainless steels in order to prep for liquid penetrant testing.

Micheline Forth
Edwards Interiors - Rincon, Georgia USA

A. Micheline,
This would be "descaling", either mechanical (abrasive) removal such as tumbling or media blasting, or acidic (a.k.a. pickling) typically using a nitric-hydrofluoric mix.

ray kremer

Q. Thanks for your response but I have been told acid is not an acceptable choice. I can blast the heat treat scale but have concerns that smearing may occur and then I will have no way of removing. Since I posted my question I have been looking at alkaline cleaning. Some products I've looked at contain approx. 15% potassium hydroxide.

Micheline Forth [returning]
- Rincon, Georgia USA