a Website for Serious Education ...
plus the most FUN you can have in metal finishing.

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsPublic Forum

How to electropolish tool steel

adv.   gold touch banner

(2001)

Q. I have a simple for you, and a big for me doubt. I bought a electropolishing kit for stainless steel, when I told to my boss he wants that I electropolish all the Natoli punches that he use in the plant.

Questions are: Can I use the same chemical solution of the s.s. for tool steel? (the solution is new). If not, what kind I have to use? Is the amp/inch rate the same? How can I quote a electropolishing job?

I will appreciate any help that you can bring me, EXCUSE MY ENGLISH, I'm FROM PUERTO RICO I TRY TO DO MY BEST. Its easy for me to work with, I don't work too much with the computer.

Ruben A. Acevedo Lopez
custom fishing rods - Camuy, Puerto Rico

Q. I'm in need of polishing some stainless steel and I can't seem to locate an electropolishing kit.
Thanks Warren

warren stephens
- coquitlam bc Canada

Electroplating Engineering Handbook

A. Hi, Warren. The brush plating suppliers who make this site possible are shown in the banner ad at the top of the page. As far as I know they all offer electropolishing kits as well as electroplating kits.

However, you should be aware that, in general, people send their stainless steel out to electropolishing shops for electropolishing as opposed to trying to learn the science themselves, and getting involved in toxic chemistry and the regulations it involves.

You can learn more about electropolishing in most electroplating texts, but I think the best coverage is in the Electroplating Engineering Handbook. For brush plating/polishing info there is nothing like Rubinstein's Electrochemical Metallizing, but he mentions it only quite briefly. Good luck!

Q. The Electroplating Engineering Handbook is nearly $400 on Amazon. Pretty expensive for only 20 pages of 26 year old info on electropolishing. I've heard of newer electrolyte recipes for stainless that don't use the more caustic acids, but haven't yet found the other setup details for their proper use. Any other recommendations?

Joe Diemer
Portland, Oregon USA

A. Hi, Joe. I see some used copies available on Amazon for $9 to $25. Most large libraries have or can get the books you seek if you wish; I'm confident the Portland library can get it if they don't have it. One reason that the electropolishing chapter is only 20 pages is that many of the other 750 pages are invaluable to electropolishers as well as to other finishers, but Metal Coating Process Corp. holds training seminars on electropolishing if you's like detailed guidance.

All of the newer approaches like "never-dump" and "neutral" solutions are proprietary. You can license/buy the electropolishing solutions and get the technical data for their use from companies such as Russamer Lab [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] as well as the previously mentioned Metal Coating Process Corp.. Good luck. Regards,

thumbs up signHi Ted, for some reason I can't find anything cheaper than $330 on Amazon, but the library has it - thanks for the tip!

I contacted Russamer a long time ago but remember thinking they use the more caustic blends, maybe that's changed. MCPC has yet to get back to me.

I guess I'm expecting the older books and more established companies to be using the older, established, very caustic electrolytes like nitric. I know newer solutions exist, but can't find app info yet.

I'll go check out that book though, thanks for the help.

Joe Diemer
- Portland, Oregon USA

A. Hi, Joe. These days there is little published general research into subjects like this; instead the research is funded by the suppliers, and the results held as proprietary. So that's where you find the "newer solutions" that you are seeking. The idea of "open source" development does not presently extend to electropolishing chemistry and may not ever do so. Good luck.

Localised Electropolishing of SS

Q. Hi, All.
I want to do localised Electropolishing of SS vessel. I tried phosphoric acid based chemical with reverse DC Current but due to very bad fumes, I do not want to use it. Request you suggest chemical or a ready-to-use product for localised polishing.
DINESH PATEL,
INDIA.

Dinesh Patel
APEX INDUSTRIES - AHMEDABAD- INDIA

A. Dinesh,
For wand- or brush-based electropickling/electropolishing, you don't have to use phosphoric acid. Really anything that will carry the electric current should work. We've had good success using citric acid.

ray kremer

A. Hmmmm. Wand "electropolishing" with citric acid?

I think not likely.

But with sulfuric/phosphoric, yes.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg,
      South Carolina

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to search the site: