23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Metal prep prior to painting for refinishing firearms

Hello, I am refinishing firearms. Currently I only refinish parked firearms and use gun kote from KG industries. I am looking for a process to treat metal prior to painting that will provide a good adhesion for the paint. I have been told that Phosphoric acid may be what I want? Also can anyone recommend another product for refinishing that provides good resistance to wear and the elements.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gun parts & schematics at Brownell's

William Edward Sayre
- Alcalde, New Mexico, USA

Phosphoric acid by itself won't give the pre-paint finish you're looking for. Find a good iron phosphate cleaner/phosphatizer combo for best results. By the way - a hot black oxide coating is also a good base for paint!

Dan Brewer
chemical process supplier - Gurnee, Illinois