0 White gold on layby

White gold ring is on on layby.... do I keep it?

Like many of you, I was disappointed when I learned the true facts about white gold and wondered just how many people have been misled by their jewelers into thinking they were getting a high quality product that they have paid good money for! I have only just learned about this matter, and I have a few rings on layby which I have deposited money into in the past 3 months but on learning this I'm now very confused and not sure what I should do...

I have 3 options I can...buy the rings and have them replated if they yellow provided that I only have to have it done ONCE!....or exchange them for platinum rings ...or have my money returned...but I'm so confused I'm not sure what to do... If I have the rings replated with platinum if they yellow...will they stay white? As I have little time to make up my mind...I would greatly appreciate any suggestions...thanks!

Sandra T [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Australia

Hi, Sandra. We now have a White Gold & Rhodium Plating FAQ which pretty clearly explains this whole issue and should help you decide whether you want the rings that are being held for you.

Rhodium plated white gold can be a very high quality product (rhodium was recently selling for $12,000 per ounce). But it can also be a low quality product. And even when it is high quality, periodic replating is required. You are correct, of course, that jewelers mislead the public by omission because almost no one realizes that the finish they see on a rhodium plated white gold ring is only a thin plating with a limited life.