Refinishing an Olympus OM1 camera's bottom plate

(2001)

I wish to refinish a camera's bottom plate. An Olympus OM 1.

What materials should I purchase to accomplish this task? I have sanded the bottom plate and it appears that it is brass. Would I chrome plate this item to achieve the original dull satin looking finish?

Tito Diaz
- Winchester, Virginia

(2001)

I don't know the actual spec for this component, but I would imagine it is a nickel with a flash of chrome on top of a bead-blasted surface. You haven't identified yourself as to whether you are a hobbyist or a plating shop employee, Tito, but decorative nickel-chrome plating is no trivial matter. You might want to review our Chrome Plating Tutorial for a quick intro into what is involved. You may or may not realize that there are plating shops available to handle this for you if you wish. Good luck.