Oil Rubbed Bronze

I just love the look of "oil rubbed bronze" but it is very hard to find in stores. Could I possibly buy a brass lever style door opener and remove the finish to give it that oil rubbed bronze look? I bought some brass candle holders and have experimented with Muriatic Acid [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], and it is taking a while to remove the brass.

Can anyone help me?

Jennifer R [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Fort Worth, Texas

Hello Jennifer,

An oil-rubbed bronze finish, also known as US 10B, is usually brass that has been oxidized or patinated to get that dark color. It's then rubbed with some kind of oil periodically to maintain the gloss over it, and I suppose to stop any more oxidation. I don't know if that would work too well on door handles, everybody using the door might walk away with an oily hand. I've seen door handles with a simulated US10B finish for sale all over the internet. Or if you want to learn a new hobby, there are a couple of books on patinas available through finishing.com's literature section.

Good luck,

Jake Koch
G. J. Nikolas & Co., Inc.
Bellwood, Illinois
nikolas banner ad

Dear Sir,

I would like to know how can we induce patina on bronze surface artificially? How can we obtain an oil rubbed bronze finish on the bronze hardware?

Ajay V [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Ludhiana, India

I have seen many products that are in hardware stores that have an aged oil rubbed bronze look. Would like to know if there is a way to put this effect upon my towel bar by using household or some type of sulfuric acids.

Daniel C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
hobbyist - Rigby, Idaho, United States

(2006)

"oil rubbed bronze" finish on CA 260 Brass. Earlier post mentioned liver of sulphur to darken brass. Will this give a dark brown/black finish? Where to buy and where to learn how to apply? I'm a hobbyist making a set of cabinet doors. Another project---not oil rubbed---is there a matte lacquer for a rich golden finish?

Ken H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
hobbyist - Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania, USA

(2006)

Here's a link to Liver of Sulphur [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], and one to another Brass Darkening Solution [linked by editor to product info at Rockler]. As a general instruction, these will turn brass or copper brown. Then you buff the "highlights" or raised area back to bright. That doesn't mean that I've done it, or that it's as easy as it sounds, or that this simple process will give you the depth and richness you seek; it's just a start. I'm not sure if there are matte lacquers readily available in spray cans or small bottles for consumers, but they certainly exist and are manufactured by the suppliers shown in the banner ad at the upper right corner of this page. Good luck.

(2006)

Can anyone tell me what is the best material to use to create the (US10-B) oil rubbed bronze finish.

thanks

Kent S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Northfield, Illinois, USA

(2006) -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Hi, can anyone help me with process details of getting oil rubbed bronze finish on brass and zinc pieces ?

Nivesh S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- New Delhi, India