Defence Standards 03-8 Tin Plating and 03-9 Silver plating cancelled by MOD. Now what?

Q. I am the last to know but has anyone else heard that Def Stan 03-8 Tin Plating has been cancelled?

Also Def Stan 03-9 Silver plating has gone the same way?

Please give me a straw poll to see if Stroud really is the back water I think it is :-)

Martin Trigg-Hogarth
Martin Trigg-Hogarth
surface treatment shop - Stroud, Glos, England

A. Hello Martin!

If you go to www.dstan.mod.uk/home.htm, you'll get to the Defence Standards home page, where there is a path that will take you to: www.dstan.mod.uk/data/ix03.htm Where you can see that 03-8 and 03-9 are both cancelled, but only as of April 2001. You'll also note that they are no longer available for easy download- so you may want to grab those that you can while they are still available.

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist

The fact they are cancelled is the problem.

I have a customer who decided to use them as the standard for call off of finishes for their parts.

They are now stuck - the tin does have a live BS EN ISO replacement but the silver replacement is still in draft at BSI and will not go live until 2003!

Martin Trigg-Hogarth
Martin Trigg-Hogarth

If the 'old' mil spec was like the US spec QQ-365 (likewise cancelled), your customer may be able to use ASTM B700 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]. It's about the only silver standard out there that I could readily find.

Debra Mansperger
- Chandler, Arizona, USA

Thanks, I will suggest the ASTM spec.

Martin Trigg-Hogarth
Martin Trigg-Hogarth

I now have an update that the Ministry of Defence in the UK have now removed the cancellation notice on the Def-Stan 03-9 and listed the BS replacement for the tin standard on their web site. I am now happy that this has worked out so that we have clear guidance on which standard to use.

Martin Trigg-Hogarth
Martin Trigg-Hogarth

We have been cleared to use BS 1872 by our Ministry Desk Officers & MoD DLO, but don't forget that Def Stan 03-8/1 can still be left on the Process Sheet as there are very many Platers who will carry on using it while the demand is there from the trade.

David Quinton
MoD Sub/Prime Contractor - Portsmouth, Hants, UK