Painting plastic and lacquered wood

I am wanting to paint a babybed that was given me. It is a cheap Jenny Lind crib originally purchased at Wal-mart. It is dark lacquered wood with some plastic parts.

I am wondering if it would be possible to paint it all white. It does not have to be an extremely durable finish, because I am having someone make me the crib I want.

Can anyone suggest how to go about painting it? What paint should I use, and do I have to strip the wood before painting?

Elizabeth Worsham
- Pensacola, Florida

It's probably not necessary to strip the wood; just getting it clean and applying a coat or two of flat paint before an enamel top coat ought to work. The plastic may be trickier, and I would suggest sanding it for "tooth" if practical.