How to paint a steel door

Q. I recently bought a Stanley steel door with an oval cutout shape. After painting the surface with an enamel paint it easily comes off. No one seems to know what to do to make the paint stick. The door was a light grey color when I bought it new.

Marcie E. Slot
- Clifton Park, New York

A. I was looking into repainting my steel door, also. I found that you must sand down and prime the door before you paint. Use an oil-based primer. After priming the door you must lightly sand it before painting it. Also, if you are to use two coats of paint, it is advised to sand between coats. I would use a sprayed on primer and paint so as not to show paint strokes on the door itself.

Rene O'Reilly
- Ballston Lake, New York

(2006)

Q. A handyman painted my side door last summer. By March the paint had peeled off in three areas larger than a handprint. The painter primed, and painted several coats. There is a storm door near the repainted entryway.
This time I would like to try to repaint and would like advise prior to starting the job.
My Questions are:
Scrape?
Sand... what kind of paper?
Prime?
Paint?
How many coats?
Any other suggestions?

Debra J. McClave
teacher - Mayfield Village, Ohio

(2007)

A. I spent a summer working for a student painter outfit and steel doors were a nightmare to work with.
In extreme heat, the paint would slide off by mid-day.
Our contractor got around it by having the doors dipped somewhere professionally.
Hope this helps!

Michelle Giroux
- London Ontario Canada

Q. We have a Stanley steel door that requires painting, on the interior side.

Would you please advise the proper way to do this.

Thanks in advance,

Jack Sager
- Penticton, BC, Canada

A. Hi Everyone

I have just finished painting two steel doors. The first door I took web and friends advice and used exterior latex paint.IT PEELED OFF EVERYWHERE , especially the window trim . Door #2 I changed to a low odor oil base paint, which by the way can be mixed to match any color , not only did it go on better ( I used a small sponge roller ) , it left a nicer finish and didn't peel off. I'll NEVER use latex on a door again

I hope this helps ....

Philip Warren
- Ingonish, Nova Scotia