Chlorine resistance of Hastelloy-C vs. Titanium

Q. Dear Sirs,

I want to know which one is resistant to chlorine: Hastelloy-C or Titanium. I will appreciate your suggestion.

Nasir Gulazar Buttar
precision instruments - Rawalpindi, Pakistan

A. Nazir,

Chlorine varies. You didn't spec out if was dry or wet or give the temperature. No one can give impartial advice without knowing all the facts.

May I suggest that you get some manufacturers' corrosion resistance charts as a guide ... but never, ever regard any corrosion charts as Gospel!

It seems that Hastelloy C is the better as the chart says that Titanium suffers an explosive attack for a dry Cl2 gas.

A. Hello Nasir!

I will agree with Freeman (always a wise thing to do!) when he notes that corrosion conditions vary, and not to treat anything on the topic as infallible! Regarding manufacturers information, Haynes International has some fine files on Hastelloy, at www.haynesintl.com and Timet has some good stuff on titanium at www.timet.com/productsframe.html.

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist

thumbs up signHeck, that WAS a nice thing to say Mr. Lee Gearhart.

It was so UNUSUAL that I showed it to my wife who ALWAYS (?!?!) agrees with everything I say. I will copy down his laudatory comments and post them across the house so that I can be reminded ... and so can she ... of the infinite (?) wisdom (?) of the other half.

Freeman Newton

A. To further the question, is Hastelloy or 440C stainless a better hard material in Fluorine and Chlorine environments below 50 °C and 6-bars pressure?

I would expect 316 stainless to be better than either material if hardness is not a concern.

Larry Roberts
- Manchester, New Hampshire

Material selection for Wet Chlorine and Pulp

(2002)

Q. Hastelloy and Titanium Alpha Grade rotor in Bangladesh to be protected against erosion corrosion of pulp and wet chlorine. Temperature 45 °C, RPM 1500 rpm rotor 270 Dia and length 207 mm. Require a wear coating that is inert to Wet Chlorine.

Ganesh Guladhi
- Auckand, New Zealand

(2002)

A. Hi Ganesh,

I would have thought that Hastelloy C was OK ... but you mention abrasion and corrosion. Oh dear. For the corrosion side I'd opt for PVDF ... but cannot make any suggestions about the abrasion suitability.

Food for thought, anyhow.

(2002)

A. Fine silicon carbide with non-metallic binder will last enough to be an economic alternative. There is also the possibility to clad with zirconia (or platinum if budget allows) but this will be much more expensive.

(2002)

A. Without any doubt the best way is to apply TiO2 or Al2O3 coating (detonation gun arc plasma sprayed). We routinely are doing that for p&p or bleaching plant for Russia and Finland.

Andrey Igolin
- St.Petersburg, Russia