-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley
    no popups, no spam
on this site
current topics
topic 10238

Information on a product called Golden Iradite


To whom it may concern,

I am attempting to learn something about a product called, "Golden Iridite". I would like information on the product as I have been told, the gold color on nuts and bolts that have been cad plated, is called Golden Iridite. Can anyone verify this for me? Can anyone direct me to the information?


Glenn Augustine
- Grand Prairie, Texas


Do you mean Iridite which is a trade name for chemicals sold by Macdermid?

There is a whole load of different conversion coatings for different materials with this trade name.

Note these look just the same as different companies products, i.e., a yellow passivate is a yellow passivate and you can get the same color from different companies or a home brew you make yourself from base chemicals.

Martin Trigg-Hogarth
Martin Trigg-Hogarth
surface treatment shop - Stroud, Glos, England


If you meant is NOT the same as Cad-plating. Iridite (brand name) is a conductive conversion coating that's applied to aluminum. It can be gold, or clear.. and perhaps other colors that I'm not aware of.

Marc Green
Marc Green
anodizer - Idaho


The correct spelling of the trade name is "Iridite". You are looking for a chromate conversion coating that is vaguely gold colored.

Ted Mooney, Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Pine Beach, New Jersey



You are talking about two entirely different plating processes. Golden Iridite is done by chemical conversion. Cad is done by electroplating. You can obtain all relevant information on the chemicals you use by contacting your chemical supplier.


Joel Garcia
- McAllen, Texas



The product you were probably referring to is a chromate conversion coating product made specifically to enhance the corrosion protection of cadmium plated parts. It produces an "Iridite-like or Alodine-like" finish on cadmium and its widely used for fasteners. The only one I am familiar with is called Luster-On< but I imagine there are others out in the market.

Marta O. Lebron
- Sunnyvale, California, USA

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

ADD a Comment to THIS thread START a NEW threadView CURRENT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.