-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

Information on a product called Golden Iradite

To whom it may concern,

I am attempting to learn something about a product called, "Golden Iridite". I would like information on the product as I have been told, the gold color on nuts and bolts that have been cad plated, is called Golden Iridite. Can anyone verify this for me? Can anyone direct me to the information?

Glenn Augustine
- Grand Prairie, Texas

Do you mean Iridite which is a trade name for chemicals sold by Macdermid?

There is a whole load of different conversion coatings for different materials with this trade name.

Note these look just the same as different companies products, i.e., a yellow passivate is a yellow passivate and you can get the same color from different companies or a home brew you make yourself from base chemicals.

Martin Trigg-Hogarth
Martin Trigg-Hogarth
surface treatment shop - Stroud, Glos, England

If you meant is NOT the same as Cad-plating. Iridite (brand name) is a conductive conversion coating that's applied to aluminum. It can be gold, or clear.. and perhaps other colors that I'm not aware of.

anodizer - Idaho

The correct spelling of the trade name is "Iridite". You are looking for a chromate conversion coating that is vaguely gold colored.

Ted Mooney, Teds signature

You are talking about two entirely different plating processes. Golden Iridite is done by chemical conversion. Cad is done by electroplating. You can obtain all relevant information on the chemicals you use by contacting your chemical supplier.

Joel Garcia
- McAllen, Texas

The product you were probably referring to is a chromate conversion coating product made specifically to enhance the corrosion protection of cadmium plated parts. It produces an "Iridite-like or Alodine-like" finish on cadmium and its widely used for fasteners. The only one I am familiar with is called Luster-On< but I imagine there are others out in the market.

Marta O. Lebron
- Sunnyvale, California, USA

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy