Chrome Removal

I recently purchased a set of black powder coated wheels for my 4x4 but my lug nuts and center caps are chrome. Which I do not like. I checked into powder coating and the man told me the center caps would do fine but that the lugs would probably crack when tightening them. So, he suggested anodizing. I found a black oxide kit but I don't know the best way to remove the chrome.

Would blasting work? If so would there be a residue beneath the chrome to be removed or could it just be sanded? Or is there a chemical process that will work? I live in a small town and there are no refinishing or plating shops around.

If you could help me out on this I'd appreciate it.

Thanx,

Charley Bright
- Hope, Arkansas

I would agree that lug nuts see such tough service that the powder coating on them would probably not stand up. Black oxide will not offer the corrosion resistance you need. Black chrome would be better, even if you have to travel a bit to get it done.