Liquid Vinyl Siding

A co. here does liquid vinyl siding on homes and claims it will last 50 years and warranties it 25 years. What do you think?

Ronald Allen Zelman
- Honolulu, Hawaii

If I trusted the company to be around for 25 years, I'd trust the siding for 25 years. It's not impossible for something to last that long.

Ronald,

With any 'claim', may I suggest you get a list of customers and contact them before believing it to be gospel or not. OK?

Vinyl as a 'liquid' is available ... but I thought that it was only used for coating purposes and then it MUST undergo heat in order to 'polymerize' it. The common name for this is Plastisol. Again, HEAT is necessary to cure it and I doubt (hope not, anyhow!) that you'll get enough sun heat in Hawaii unless you live next door to the volcano! Maybe 500 degr. F. ... I forget the right temperature.

Caveat Emptor!

Liquid vinyl was sprayed on my home several years ago. It sealed up the cracks and the finish is smooth to the touch and easy to clean like hard vinyl siding. I absoluteley love it. The top coat was thick and you can still see the woodgrain in the boards the way it coated. It looks like the home is brand new. Before I purchased, I called two homeowners who had it on their home for over nine years and they both had nothing but praises to say about the product. It is supposed to be over 60% vimastic material and breathable. You can't go wrong with it in my opinion.

Robert Mittica
- Hilton Head, South Carolina

Ed. note: Finishing.com is pleased to print consumer questions which relate to metal finishing. Our editorial policy has long been that we do not print product testimonials nor product "slams" (because their validity is impractical to determine, and they cause a race to the bottom). This particular letter has drawn continual replies of both types. Sorry, we will not print them or reply to them.