Oxidation removal from aluminum siding

Q. My home is approximately 16 years old. It is Aluminum sided. Over time the aluminum has oxidized forming a white powdery covering on the aluminum dulling the color.

I am looking for a product that will remove the oxidation and restore the color (gray).

I have tried power washing but this does not seem to cut through the oxidation. Perhaps some chemical in conjunction with the power wash?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Warren G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Middletown, Maryland

Siding: Step by Step Installation Techniques

Exterior Siding, Trim and Finishes

A. You could find exterior paint of the same shade and repaint it. While your new paint will not have the adhesion of the factory baked finish, my experience as a homeowner has been that in practical terms it's not a problem.

If your existing siding looks good when it is clean and still wet, it is possible to apply a clear coat by our supporting advertiser, Everbrite, which they claim will make it look when dry the way it does when wet.

A. Just a note: Contact an RV repair dealer, they will tell you what type of "acid wash" they use to clean RVs and aluminum horse trailers. Also there are places, mostly truck stops, that "acid wash" aluminum trailers that semis haul down the road, they may be able to tell you what the compound is. I too have had this problem, with my aluminum horse trailer. I tried a bunch of aluminum polishes, oxidation removers, etc. Acid washing (pressure washing with a special acid solution) was the only thing that made it look new again.

Nancy Langford
- felda, Florida

Hi, Nancy. Thanks. But were your horse trailer and the tanker trucks you are referring to unpainted aluminum? Although the siding on Warren's house is made of aluminum and is gray, I doubt that it is unpainted aluminum like a horse trailer or tanker truck because I've never seen that on a house.