23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Enamel and HVLP application equipment

A while back I posted a request about painting my 1937 Ford Coupe. The car has been stripped of all paint, body work finished and primed with a lacquer base primer I visited MAACO in Grand Rapids, a bust! Anyway, I think I'm gonna try this myself. We're going to seal off my garage with plastic, set up a couple of furnace filters in one end and as exhaust fan in the other.

The question, anyone have experience with the HVLP gun, make, model, etc. Also, what paint, I'm thinking enamel rather than gloss coat as any touch up would be difficult. Any input is appreciated.

Bill B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Michigan

Dear Bill,

Did you ask the guys at Maaco what they are using? Binks is a pretty big name in the industry. I'd suggest you get some large scrap panels to spray before you start on the car, you'll notice paint sprayed on large surfaces will have a tendency to develop "lap marks". Another thing, I hope that exhaust fan you are planning to set up is explosion proof, or there might be a big KABOOM, and no more Bill or antique Ford.

Good luck,

Jake Koch
G. J. Nikolas & Co., Inc.
Bellwood, Illinois
nikolas banner ad