Vapor forming of nickel / nickel carbonyl

A discussion started in 1996 and continuing through 2000.
Add your Q. or A. to restore it to the "Current Topics" discussions.

(1996)

I work in an industrial electroforming shop, making nickel rotocast moulds for auto parts. I've been asked to find out whatever I can about vapor forming nickel, with a view to possibly adding the process to our shop, or converting to vapor forming. I've been unable to find references to the process, and would appreciate any help anyone could give me, or suggestions as to where to look. From what I understand, the process is an extension of vapor metallizing, but that's all I've been able to find out. Can anyone help?

Erik Van Luven

(1996)

Erik:

Nickel Tooling Technology in Midland Ontario Canada is a leader in nickel vapor deposition technology for mold building. NVD requires a source of extremely toxic nickel carbonyl gas. Nickel carbonyl is used as part of the nickel metal refining process and is extremely hazardous. I do not think it is anything which is very easy to get into.

Steven R

(2000)

FET ENGR. INC IS THE SALES REPRESENTATIVE FOR OUR SISTER COMPANY, NEW AMERICAN TECH., THE ONLY LARGE SCALE VAPOR DEPOSITION OPERATION IN THE USA. NVD IS NOT A PROCESS TO BE PLACED IN JUST ANY LOCATION PER THE PREVIOUS COMMENT. THE EPA LISTS NICKEL CARBONYL WITH A TEN MILE EVACUATION ZONE.

morris mengel
- bardstown, Kentucky usa