Can direct-fired embrittlement-relief ovens cause corrosion problems in the plating?

A discussion started in 1996.
Add your Q. or A. to restore it to the "Current Topics" discussions.

(1996)

Does anyone have any insight on the use of direct fired gas ovens for embrittlement relief of zinc and nickel plated parts? I have been advised that direct fired gas ovens can, under some conditions, cause corrosion problems on the plated items during the bake cycle, anyone ever experienced this? The cycle is 400 F minimum for 4 hours minimum.

When compared to electric ovens and indirect gas fired ovens, the direct fired ovens win hands down on a cost analysis.

Richard Gilley

(1996)

I do baking in an electric oven. I recently explored converting to gas because of the enormous energy savings . I asked the advice of a customer who has been in the heat treating business for 40 years and he talked me out of it. He said they are harder to control and didn't like the firing packages required should you wish to automate. As far as corrosion I would only say that it is already known that flue gases are corrosive but to what extent do they contact the parts? If there is not a heat transfer mechanism--I'd be afraid to let the heated raw atmosphere contact plating.

Frank Zemo - Paterson, New Jersey