-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
A website for Serious Education, promoting Aloha,
& the most FUN smiley you can have in metal finishing.
    no popups, no spam
on this site
current topics

topic 0167

What is Eutectoid plating?

A discussion started in 1996 and continuing through 2012.
Add your Q. or A. to restore it to the "Current Topics" discussions.


Q. In reading through some technical literature, I recently saw the term 'eutectoid plating'. This seemed to be in reference to a co-deposition of a metal and a polymer, but I can't see what that has to do with a eutectoid reaction. To me a eutectoid reaction is one solid solution going to two upon cooling through a set temperature (like a martensitic transformation in steel). Sorry, my metallurgical roots are showing. Perhaps some kind person out there can enlighten me.

Janet Rice


A. Hello. Eutectoid plating may refer to a codeposition process. I have an old piece of equipment here that utilizes an oxy-acetylene torch system. it was produced by "Eutectic Corp." it is a spray unit that codeposits a polymer/metal powder onto metal. it has been referred to as a kind of "plate",though not in the standard sense of the term. This is normally used for repair/build-up of a base metal, but also has applications for hardness/abrasion resistance.

Ron Landrette
plating equipment supplier - Bristol, Connecticut


A. This term probably has more than one meaning. However, it may refer to codeposition of an alloy at it's eutectic concentration. As an example solder plate in the electronics field is usually 63% tin and 37% lead. If you looked at an Sn-Pb phase diagram you would find that that is the alloy that gives the lowest melting point or eutectic point.

Paul Stransky
- Putnam, Connecticut

Electroless Plating
Mallory & Hajdu
from Abe Books


October 24, 2011

A. Two excellent but very different answers. Thanks, folks! Still, I don't think we're quite there yet.

I see the term used in patent claims to describe a composite plating of nickel plus fluorine-based organic materials like Teflon. I would probably call that type of process "composite plating", and the general idea is not unusual. Others (Atotech) have called the process "Niflor®.

But apparently the inventors of this specific process used on inkjet printers, in wanting to patent their process, thought it best to give it a name. Please see Japanese patent 6033300 for "Eutectoid Plating Method".


Ted Mooney,
Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Pine Beach, New Jersey

May 30, 2012

A. Actually, this is the result of a translation error. The same word in Japanese, kyouseki (共析) is used to refer to eutetic systems and co-deposition. It seems that, at some point, some translators copied the English term out of the dictionary, without checking what it meant. Having been mistranslated several times, those mistranslations have served as references for new translations so that this (often nonsensical) way of referring to co-deposition has become common in English language patent applications with Japanese applicants.

Martin Cross
Patent Translations Inc. - Seattle, Washington, USA

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

ADD a Comment to THIS thread START a NEW threadView CURRENT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.