Heat absorbing/heat resisting paint

A discussion started in 1995.
Add your Q. or A. to restore it to the "Current Topics" discussions.

(1995)

Hello, I hope this is the right address to send a question to. I'm looking for a 'paint' that insulates heat. I think the subject was mentioned in BBC's Tomorrow's World, a nice television program. There was an item paint with water inside, and another item about paint that resisted heat. I'm most interested in the second one, I need it to protect the casing of my ultra-light 'paint-remover' and I'd hate to have to use asbestos. Maybe there is even more in today's world, please let me know.

Ruud H.G. van Tol
- Amsterdam, Netherlands

Radiative Heat Transfer

(1995)

I could certainly be misunderstanding you, Rudd, but I think it's difficult to 'contain' the heat even with asbestos, and hopeless to try to do it with a thin layer of paint.

What you probably actually need to do is speed up the removal of the heat, rather than try to slow it down.