-----

Need spangled galvanize finish, but not bright

Q. I am trying to get a dull grey type of look from galvanized steel. I have seen it around, the galvanized metal still has the spangle in it but is a very dull look. Can anyone help me out with this?

Matt Field
Sheet Metal and Steel Fabrication - Sparks, Nevada, US

A. Sir:

If you wait a few months the product will likely dull down. In the old days some galvanizers would put the product into the caustic tank to dull the galvanizing. I tried this in lab and had some problems with white rust. In those days there were chemicals available to do the job. I do not think this is popular anymore.

Dr. Thomas H. Cook
Galvanizing Consultant - Hot Springs, South Dakota, USA