What paint to use on baby crib

(-----) 2004

My daughter is expecting, and we've bought a used crib that needs to be repainted. I can't seem to out if there is a special paint for this, or just standard spray enamel will do. I understand that just being "non-toxic" may not be enough. I really appreciate any inputs on this. Thanks.

Mark Watson
Homeowner - Altus, Oklahoma
^

2004

For peace of mind get a Lead Test Kit [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] to check the existing paint on the crib. Basically if its an Antique, more than 40=50 years old it may have been painted with a lead based paint. A Paint store should be able to give you guidance in the choice of paint and MSDS for products. Having said all that ingestion of modern paints by babies chewing on cribs probably poses negligible health risks..

Luke Speer
- Safety Beach, NSW, AUSTRALIA
^

2005

I recently received a crib for free. Once I attempted to put it together I realized it was missing parts. I called the manufacturer and it was missing a lot of parts. So I decided to order the parts and and decided I would paint the crib black. I went to Lowes and explained my project. They suggested Liquid Sander [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] , Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 [affil. link to info/product on Amazon], and Rustoleum American Accents [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] (I chose a semi-gloss. They also suggested I use sponge roll brushes instead of a traditional brush. The crib looks wonderful and is safe for my son.

Nicole Jvon
- Seattle, Washington
^

2007

I would like to change the crib colour from pink to blue. Which Paint & Brush will be good for this? The crib is not so old . Its only 8 month old.

Thanks in advance,

Sreelesh Kochu
Software Engg - Loveland, Ohio
^

2007

Congratulations! It's a boy! We've appended your inquiry to a thread that hopefully answers it.

^

I cannot find any manufacturer of cribs to present me with the MSDS sheets on the finishes used on the cribs. Non toxic is not enough. There's lead, as well as many other heavy metals in the ppm, being used. Even though it's acceptable. Any ideas please?

Robin

Robin Medeiros
- somerset, Massachusetts
^

my daughter is expecting in may and she wants to paint the crib what paint does she use. Thank You diane

Diane Kelly
- Windsor, Ontario, Canada
^

Hi, Diane. Search for "mythic paint" and see if their literature impresses you. Tell them you learned about them on finishing.com. Good luck.

^