Cleaning dishwasher with Borax/Boric Acid

(2001)

The inside of my dishwasher is discolored. I have heard it's ok to use Borax [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] to clean it. Are borax and boric acid the same? Also, would I use it as a detergent and run the machine through a cycle or physically scrub the interior by hand?

Thanks for your help.

Celene Beatty
- Antioch, Tennessee, USA

(2002)

Borax is an alkaline powder, thus it boosts soap (also alkaline). Probably would do nothing to clean a dishwasher. Boric Acid Powder [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], as its name implies, is acidic. That would work, but I'm told the citric acid in a small container of Tang [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] works well to clean the dishwasher.

John Puskar
- East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA