-----

"What Phosphorus Percentage Should Electroless Nickel Plater Hold?"

2000

I am considering using electroless Ni-P as a braze filler material. The eutectic is 11 weight percent. What would be a reasonable tolerance in the plated phosphorus concentration for the plater to hold. This will be a vendor operation with the chemistry checked by AA.

Mark S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Cincinnati Ohio
^

2000

It is my understanding that most generic EN's start changing P content at about 2 tank turnovers.

Years ago, we used the Elnic process for High P. This was an organic brightened bath and could be a real pain in the --- if you did not take very good care of it. But, we never had a plating caused braze problem in the two years that it was run.

I think that it was one of the many EN companies that Macdermid in Waterbury, CT bought.

I would go to at least 4 of the major EN mfg's and get their opinion directly from the tech services, and then find out who in your general area plates that EN as a job shop.

There have been some huge changes in EN in the last 10 years.

^

2000

James, Thanks for the tip. MacDermid tells me that the plater should be able to hold 10-12% easily with their Elnic 101.

- Cincinnati, Ohio
^

What surface finish (machining finish) is recommended to get a good corrosion protection by Elnic.? Thanks. Sam

Sam Mathew
- New Zealand
^