-----

Chrome plating motorcycle bodywork

2000

I race Ducati Motorcycles and the bodywork for these are produced in two parts, an upper and a lower, the lower would fit in a box 2 ft x 2 ft x 3 ft. I can make them from either fiberglass, carbon fibre or a carbon kevlar mix.

Is it possible to chrome plate this type of Bodywork?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer. Joe Delaney, AMA/CCS rider #33

Joe Delaney
Miami Ducati - Miami Beach Florida

2000

It's possible to electroplate virtually anything; some people plate orchids. But I think you would need to work with a prototyping shop.

2000

I would recommend that you prototype this before production. Chrome is very brittle and will be prone to cracking on plastic if it is subject to a lot of flex.

Things like chrome on very thin bicycle fenders last because they use a very very thin layer of chrome. They are so mass produced that they are thrown away when they finally rust.

2000

Thank you Gentlemen for your responses, prototyping is as far as it will get, this bodywork is for my personal use, once I've severely flexed it, it will usually need to be replaced. Quite honestly, rusting won't be an issue, I rarely make it through a season without destroying two or three sets of bodywork! Thanks Again.

Joe Delaney
Miami Ducati - Miami Beach Florida