-----

"Water specifications for gold plating"

2005

In my work place, we make a gold and nickel plating to a cable connection. We use RO/DI (reverse osmosis and deionization) water for the rinse process of the connector. Also, we use this water to prepare KOH which is used before the gold plating.

The water has a specification of 3 microSiemens/cm. Can we rise the specification to reduce the DI cost?

Where can I find the specifications of the water for this process? (I need it for reference)

Jose Arturo Altagracia
Pharmaceutical - Dominican Republic
^

2005

Dear Jose,
Generally DI water with of less than 5 micro siemens are used only for lacquer plating. For Gold plating and rinsing, I do not think the usage of DI Water up to 40 micro siemens or more will have any problem. In fact It is generally found that DM water and not DI water is commonly used for rinsing.
For your information,high quality DI water what you are using is more corrosive in nature than DM water and if used for final rise, the job should be dried well before packing.Or the moisture may enter in through the pores and attack the base metal like MS(Mild steel).

t k mohan
T.K. Mohan
plating process supplier - Mumbai, India
^