We've been striving for 23 years to build the
world's best website -- it's worth your time smiley

Painting brass shower fixture

(2005)

I would like to paint - or at least tone down - the shiny brass around my shower stall. I read about spray painting but am afraid of the constant moisture. Is there anything you can suggest?

Kristin Hartung
hobbyist - Parkville, Missouri

(2005)

If you want to tone down the shine, you might try rubbing the areas with a fine Scotch Brite pad or 00 0000 steel wool [linked by editor to product info at Rockler] (not a soap pad). You want to create a fine scratch without penetrating the lacquer. If this doesn't work, you have done the prep work for painting over the protective coating on the brass (I would use a water based paint to avoid incompatibilites which are possible with the coatings on brass).

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York

(2007)

I have a brass trimmed shower enclosure and rather than replace it is there a way that I can prepare it and paint it without it peeling from the moisture in a shower?

Mary O'Keefe
Real Estate - Dallas, Texas