-----

"Spec for black Electrophoretic coatings?"

1998

Does anyone know of a MIL standard or Process Spec that defines the application of Black Electrophoretic Coating on aluminum? We are currently specifing Powercron 500 which may be a British process.

Erich Kling
Bayer Corp
^

1999

Powercon 500 was a PPG Industries type and brand name of lead based, 1970's epoxy electrocoat (electrodeposition) paint. I operated two elecrocoat tanks in the late 70's to mid 80's with this family or brands of paints until changing to newer versions. PPG has had many new and improved brand or families of electrocoat paint types. As I recall this product, Powercon 500, is no longer available.

Two things you can to to find information on the specification you need.

1). Contact the Electrocoat Assoication Ms Cindy Goodridge email: cindyg@gardnerweb.com. She can direct you to sources that can advise you or provide you the information.

2). You can likely obtain the information you seek from PPG Industries as well. I know I coated steel, stainlesss and some aluminum in the same electrocoat bath. To find out about PPG's alternates to the Powercon 500 materials or other resources contact Mr. John Martin or Mr. Doug McPheron, PPG Industries Inc., 151 Colfax Street, Springdale PA 15144. Another excellent PPG source is Mr. Jeff Kling of the Midwest region. I am sure he can put you onto the correct people in PPG.

Tyrone L. Caley, Owner
- Jefferson City, Missouri
^