-----

"Sludge problem in phosphating"

Dear sir,

Problem is that I do iron phosphate and zinc phosphate also. Problem is that when we make up new one, after a few days sludge develops in the bath in the zinc--much more than the iron bath . How do we remove it? Why is the sludge produced? Is it a pH problem? What is facts of pH & how we reduce pH? Some times bath colour turns black why I don't know. In the zinc phosphate we also use catalyst. Please tell me good suggestions.

Your sincerely,

Shaikh Rashid Mehboob
- Karachi, Pakistan
^

Zinc phosphating does tend to produce a lot of troublesome sludge, Shaikh. Many installations use a hopper-bottom tank to decant and thicken it. You can try the phosphating chapter of the Metal Finishing Guidebook. But there are whole books about phosphatizing, and you may wish to get hold of one:

^