Welding yellow chromated CRS parts

I bring in fabricated CRS parts from the Far East with a yellow chromate finish for corrosion resistance. Parts are powder coated (in the same state they are received), and the yellow chromate also provides an excellent adhesion base.

My question is this: Does anyone know the ramifications of welding these parts to other CRS parts prior to powder coating? For example, would the TIG/MIG welding of yellow-chromated parts release any toxic/hazardous gas/material? Would the weld somehow be compromised due to the presence of the yellow chromate? Any other considerations?

Robert May
- Medford, Massachusetts

My clients routinely weld plated parts together and on SS also. Yes the weld will be compromised if yellow chromate is used instead of blue chromate. Yes the gases are obnoxious but frankly I too would be glad to know what they comprise of.

Khozem Vahaanwala
Khozem Vahaanwala
Saify Ind supporting advertiser
Bangalore, Karnataka, India

saify logo

If you are welding zinc plated then chromate treated parts you are definitely releasing some Zinc fumes and I don't know what the consequences are with the chromates but I would be hesitant to be sucking in the fumes. I would have more than adequate local exhaust if I was personally doing it. Also it would be a much more aesthetic weld it the coating was removed in the area of welding.

Lee Moss
- ALBERTA, CANADA