Coatings for Nails

I am a university student. I am doing a assignment about the manufacturing of nail. The article I got is the uncoated low carbon steel nail. It is use for general constrution. So it is cheap. I have to suggest a alternative materials and process and consider the cost implication. Can you give me a suggestion.

Thank you very much.

Poh Gek Ng
- Wales Swansea

There are a lot of them already out there, Poh! There are aluminum nails for roofing, galvanized nails for corrosion protection, nails with a twist so they almost are like screws: should you view say, the McMaster-Carr catalog you'll see a lot more variations on the theme. If you have to come up with your own original idea, you can always make the nail out of something daft (concrete) which lends itself to an equally daft usage (ballast in balsa wood airplanes).

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist