No popups, no spam.
Folks helping folks with
respect.  You'll like it.
  HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsAdvertiseContactForum Letter 27106

The finishing.com Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Repairing Non-stick Coatings on Cookware

An ongoing discussion from 1999 through 2016 . . .

(1999)

Q. Do you know how I can have a large glass skillet, longer made by Corning, refinished with a stick free surface. It is only 3 years old and they no longer make them. Please help! Justin

Justin Thyme
- Winter Springs, Florida

(1999)

A. Hopefully some knowledgable person will eventually stumble onto your inquiry. But look up "Frypanman.com" as I understand they offer that general sort of service. Good luck.

----
Ed. note Feb. 2016: There was a time when there was a Frypanman.com which offered this sort of service, but it seems that they went out of business some years ago. The domain name now seems to point to a link farm in Costa Rica.

To minimize searching and thrashing, and to provide multiple points of view, Finishing.com combined formerly separate threads into the single dialog you are now viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition.

(2004)

Q. I own some high quality aluminum pot and pans that are about 20 years old. The Teflon coating is starting to go away. Is there some place in the San Deigo area that will re-coat these pans?

Randy Hammer
customer - Escondido, California, U.S.A.

Non-stick coatings for stove drip pans

(2004)

Q. I am a housewife with an idea. I am trying to determine if there is a practical way to put a non stick coating similar to what is used on frying pans or the new celebrity grills onto the drip pans for electric stoves. If the coatings on the new grills and rotisseries on the market can withstand the heat then it should be possible to make a drip pan from the same substance. Not everyone has the new ceramic top stoves and I believe there are other homemakers who would welcome the idea. I think the result could be marketable and I would love to see a company try to produce something like it. Replacement drip pans currently come in chrome or black enamel for about $5.00 each but food and spills don't always scrub off after they have been cooked on. The new grills simply wipe clean when they cool off no matter how nasty things cooked on. Thanks for listening.

Joyce Brauer
hobbyist - Centerville, South Dakota, USA

(2004)

A. You may be interested in looking at a company called The Fry Pan Man. Search internet under teflon re-coating

Mitch Behrens
- Tualatin, Oregon, USA

(2004)

A. Anything is possible, it depends on the profits and the demands.

Daryl Yeung
- Hong Kong

Non-stick Drip Pans

(2004)

A. Nonstick drip pans in various styles for gas and electric stoves are available in Brylane's kitchen catalog.

Peter LaHue
- Freeport, Michigan

(2004)

A. I could not find them in Brylanes Kitchens, but I did find them at The Home Marketplace. I have been looking for them for a long time. I just ordered, so I don't know if they are good or not. You will have to order like me to see I suppose.

Good Luck.

Geraldine Sessa
- Radford, Virginia

(2004)

!! Better not have any pet birds if you want to introduce non-stick on your drip pans! Heated, these can kill your birds in minutes. Read the following links before you use ANY non-stick stuff in a household that has pet birds:

http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/es.php

http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/toxictemps.php

http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/slowdeath.php

Annette Buchkowski
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada

----
Ed. note February 2016: Sorry, but none of those links work anymore. We don't know whether they were removed, or just had their URLs changed. But readers can still find similar if not those articles at www.ewg.org

It's best to include the titles and/or authors of articles when posting them because links are notoriously unstable -- with the exception, of course, of finishing.com which has worked for 21 years now to not waste your time, and never relocate a resource without incorporating the proper redirects :-)

Q. I have two pieces of Club with old scratched Teflon that is no longer useable. Before I throw them out, I would like to know if there is someone out there that would remove the remaining Teflon and finish the surface back to a useable one. They are both in great shape except for their surfaces. Thanking you in advance.

Jimmie Smith
- Amarillo, Texas USA

A. Hi Jimmie. It's an expensive process so the applicators seem to focus on industrial and restaurant cookware more than residential.

But google "repair nonstick cookware" and you will see at least a couple of companies offering to do it for premium residential cookware.