NON-STICK COOKWARE SPRAY TO FIX POTS & PANS?

Summary of thread: Sorry, non-stick repair spray for pots & pans seems to no longer be available; but please feel free to read and comment!

+

Q. IS THERE ANY TYPE OF COATING IN SPRAY (AEROSOL) TO REPAIR PIECES WITH TEFLON® COATING? THE PIECES ARE ALUMINUM AND OTHERS OF STEEL. THE PIECES ARE IN 150° C STEAM WATER ENVIRONMENT.

JOSE LUIS Sdeleted
- URUAPAN, MICH , MEXICO

----
Ed. note: For the record, Teflon® is a registered trademark of Dupont, and not all non-stick coatings are Teflon®; some coatings may be a generic PTFE, and some may be other plastics.

(2004) A. "Heddy corporation"^Cadie Industries of Paterson NJ. Can't seem to find them now. You spray the product on, wait 1/2 hour, and then bake the pan in the oven at 550 for 45 minutes. Had some left, and it works great! Unfortunately, like any good product, I think it was taken off the market.

David Wayne
- Seattle, Washington

+++++

Q. Spray on coating. I have a double Panini grill that the Teflon® has been burned and/or scratched off the cooking surface. Is there a spray that can re-coat the cast iron surface properly and safely for cooking up to 300 degrees?

Anthony Pdeleted
- Lake Mary, Florida

+++++

A. I found a non-stick surface repair spray at harrietcarter.com for only 5.98.
Don't know how good it works but I'm about to find out.

Lynn VanVlack
- Orlando, Florida

Ed. note --
12/05: Thanks, Lynn. But Harriett Carter no longer carries it.
04/09: Harriet Carter has it again.
10/09: They've dropped it again.

+++++

A. There is a product on eKitchenGadgets.com says on the bottle "nonstick cookware repair". Retails for 19.95$ claims to work on bbq grills.

Sono Solly
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Ed. note --
01/10: eKitchenGadgets no longer has it.

Q. I tried Harriet Carter for the NON_STICK SURFACE REPAIR SPRAY and they don't carry it anymore. Did anyone find this wonderful product anywhere? Please let me know.
THE NON-STICK SURFACE REPAIR SPRAY by Heddy Corp.^Cadie Industries Patterson NJ. is an excellent product. If anyone complains it is because they didn't bake it at the right temp for the right length of time. I have been using it for years, just ran out and would dearly love to find it again.

A.J.Okamoto
- Metairie, Louisiana

++++++

Q. I have an antique style popcorn machine made to look antique, however new with an electric popper kettle that was coated with PTFE. The oil used for popping becomes so gummy and hard to clean that I made the mistake of using Easy-Off oven cleaner to do the job, which started a scenario resulting in complete removal of all PTFE with SANDPAPER down to bare metal. I went about this lengthy sanding operation because I had recalled seeing a non-stick spray coating for pot/pan repair at Wal-Mart albeit 2 years ago. Thought I would just go get a can to do a refinishing.. however now I cannot find this product anywhere.

Help. The popcorn machine was about a $1000.00 purchase only used a few times.

Thomas Bogan
home theater enthusiast - Sun City West, Arizona

++++++

A. I found the COOKWARE REPAIR SPRAY made by CADIE PRODUCTS of PATERSON, NJ for sale at Home Trends. The URL is:

www.shophometrends.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_109041

I have used this product and have not had any problems with it. Note that it dries clear, NOT the brown or black color of some pans (the photo is misleading), so perhaps that is why some people are not happy with it. If used on a scratched up Teflon® pan the scratches will still be there, the product does not hide them. But for our purposes, it works just fine. I used it on an old George Foreman grillamazoninfo. I imagine it would work just fine for fishing gear as well.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Dan from Sacramento

DANIEL SESSOMS
- Sacramento, California

----
Ed. note 10/09: That URL is now broken, and it seems they no longer carry it.

A. Okay, okay,
Sounds like there is a solution to the age-old problem of non-stick pans that have lost the non-stick coating. It's available at HomeTrends or iKitchen. These sites only ship to the USA. So is anyone able to suggest a solution for the rest of the world? Can't find any similar products on google etc. but definitely willing to buy some.
Thanks to those who help others by posting answers in forums, without you all we'd have is questions.

Philip Hofmeyer
- Adelaide, SA, Australia

----
Ed. note 10/09: Hometrends seems to no longer carry it.
01/10: iKitchen no longer has it.

A. Re: where Dan Sessons wrote, regarding a good product but will dry clear... the product seems to work well but doesn't look good... Possible solution is to use " Bar-B-Q grill paint on the scratch then cover that area with this non-stick solution... the paint is rated at 1200 degrees so should hold up real good... by doing this it should look like new as well as working correctly... I will be trying this , as well on a George Foreman grillamazoninfo.

Dan Murray
- Arlington, Texas

A. try this link
always-free-shipping.com/109041.html

Jesus Murillo
deluxe supply - Reynosa, Tamps Mexico
  ^-- this reader rates this thread: winner

----
Ed. note: 10/09: Out of stock!

found this product at alwaysfreeshipping.com as stated above.
they also own the home trends site mentioned but the free shipping site is cheaper...go for it. and as of today it is in stock

did Dan Murray ever try the grill paint and then coat scenario and did the coating stick to the paint..great idea if it works

marcia witthoft
- oak lawn, Illinois

----
Ed. note: 01/10: Out of stock at alwaysfreeshipping

Harriet Carter has the non-stick cookware repair spray in their catalog again. Just ordered two myself - January 2009 - and it seems to work. Good luck to anyone else who needs this stuff. Used it on my rice cooker pan instead of buying a new one for $60.

Susan Baker
Tampa, Florida

----
Ed. note: 10/09: No, Harriett Carter doesn't have it anymore.

I have got an aluminum plate and I'll use it as a mold for plastic and I need it not to stick, I was intending to spray it with PTFE in a factory but I found that it will cost much, does anyone know if this product is suitable ? and if I can order it to Egypt

thank you

karim taha
- Cairo, Egypt

In order to coat a pan with PTFE, firstly it needs to be carbide tungsten blasted in order to produce a very rough surface and then coated preferably with electrostatic equipment with powder PTFE, then baked at around 380 centigrade ( almost red hot) No business to deal with home users. But if you coat a pan with ordinary cooking oil and burn it ( let be burned at the gas flame until smoke comes out ) then let cool a little and wipe the surface with soft paper tissue, you'll find that this pan will become anti adherent to everything. Better than PTFE. Only be sure to wipe with similar cloth when finished and you'll be able to use the pan at least ten times, you will make the most wonderful fried eggs ever.. Cheers Richard

Richard Greswell
- Chile

The name of the company is Cadie Industries of Patterson, New Jersey. They may be coming back with the product we are all seeking. Thanks

Denis Toothe
- Fort Worth, Texas

I just bought one on ebay today (10/22/09) for $13.93 including shipping. They have more, as they also have a store listing of 3 for $33.88, delivered.

This also seems to be available in Canada at xl100store.ca and in the UK at Clifford-James.

bob

Bob Faw
- Laguna Woods, California

----
Ed. note: 01/10: eBay no longer have any listed
01/10: not at x100store or Clifford-James anymore either.

Have received email from Irene Holly at Cadie, "item is being discontinued" you may purchase a limited quantity from a mail order company "Jensco" Call 1-800-270-4202. I don't know how much the Ebay seller has, but I ordered mine from him and just wanted to pass on a big thanks to the reader who posted that info.

Marvin Knowlden
- Aumsville, Oregon

----
Ed. note: 01/10: eBay no longer has any listed.

Hi Clifford James non longer carry this product but I have just found it on a website called personalchoice.com not sure for how long though! Seem's like I've been chasing this stuff all over the web for days now! Every time I find it somewhere they stop carrying it!

Sally Bartlam
- Portsmouth, Hampshire, United Kingdom

Ed. note: 01/10: That company is apparently out of business and the domain name is for sale.

These sprays are discontinued for a reason. PTFE becomes a highly poisonous gas when heated above 500 degrees. It can kill within minutes if exposure is high. Even with relatively small exposure, it causes neurological damage. It is FDA approved as a cookware coating only when used properly, and under conditions where the temperature would not likely exceed it's melting point. The few dollars you would save by re-coating your cookware is simply not worth it. Just buy a new one, or better yet, get old-fashioned iron pots and pans and season them thoroughly with lard. It will have the same effect without the health hazard.

Kagan Hudayar
- White Plains, New York

----
Ed. note: whether your claim about PTFE is true or not, Kagan, you are implying that the non-stick spray was PTFE -- do you know that to be true?

The use of a PTFE repair spray is dangerous and should be avoided. It emits over a dozen toxic gases when heated over 500 Degrees F. Instructions that suggest spraying and baking in a 550 F oven are negligent.

Although the quantities of gas emitted are small, they are potent enough to kill a small pet canary in the same room; and who knows what the effect will be on a toddler.

My guess is that this is why the spray continues to disappear from the market.

I have worked with PTFE in an industrial lab; heavy venting is always present to eliminate the possibility of polymer fume fever which can be fatal. There continues to be confusion caused by lobbyists. As I understand it, there is a bill to eliminate PTFE as a non-stick spray.

Be safe; not sorry.

Peter Ghiloni
- Epping, New Hampshire

----
Ed. note: Again, whether your claims are true or not, Peter, you are implying that the non-stick spray was PTFE -- do you know that to be true?

Response to Peter G.

From label on a 2 FL OZ can of ...

"Non-Stick Cookware Repair And Coating Instantly Creates A Non-Stick Surface"

"DANGER:
FLAMMABLE. HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. NON-HAZARDOUS AFTER SOLVENTS EVAPORATE.

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

To repair non-stick cookware surfaces:
Thoroughly clean and dry surface to be sprayed. Spray a thin layer of Non-Stick Coating on area to be treated. Allow to air dry for at least 30 minutes. Place in pre-heated 475 F oven for 10-15 minutes. After treating pan, saturate paper towel with salad oil and wipe over surface. Do not allow water to boil away or leave pan empty over flame or heated element.

INGREDIENTS:
Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Xylol, Methyl Isobutyl Ketone, Butyl Cellosolve, P.M. Acetate, Cellosolve Acetate

Distributed by Cadie Products Corp., Paterson, New Jersey
Stock # M1376C"

Rhonda Simmons
- Ruston, Louisiana

----
Ed. note: Thus it seems there is no Teflon or PTFE at all in this spray.

I have worked with fluoropolymers for a number of years, ran two test labs and have done research. The comments about poisonous gas are extremely inflammatory and have no business on this site.

For one thing, PTFE does not melt, it goes to a gel state. PFA and FEP are melt processable. PTFE is rated for use at the 500 deg F range, that is why it is used for the covering on aircraft and spacecraft wire. DuPont sells PTFE spray-on coatings for industrial and commercial use that are baked on at temperatures well above 500 deg F.

The temperatures used to process PTFE from its powder form into products such as tubing run into the 1100 deg F range. The PTFE fever mentioned has to do with raw PTFE (unprocessed) along with the lubricant used to bind the powder together in order to extrude the PTFE during its processing. It is unfortunate that mis-information is given on the internet.

Gerald Brickert
- Fort Worth, Texas

----
Ed. note: Thanks for relating your knowledge & experience, Gerald.
Although comments about the coatings being dangerous may annoy proponents, and they may be inaccurate, they don't seem to be intended as inflammatory. You're entitled to find some postings factually wrong, and are encouraged to continue to offer corrections -- but we do not presume to edit this public forum to exclude opinions or positions that we don't agree with. Thanks again.

Re: non-stick popcorn kettle

You were wise to scrub that kettle down to the bare metal, and I would suggest not attempting to recoat it. Commercial poppers are naked iron or steel, and it is true that the gunk left behind after popping is like yellow tar - I managed a movie theater for years and can testify to that. The non-stick coating is attractive to the buyer, but in this application completely ineffective, as the scrubbing required to get it clean will always be ruinous.

Fwiw - try heating the kettle to clean it, like you would an iron pan.

Sarah Heller
- Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

I did find the spray available, but it looks like it only ships in Europe. I am considering having a friend order it and ship it to me in the US.
www.buyasyoufly.com/2537/product_detail.html

Phil Pliuskonis
- Thornton, Colorado USA

flyasyoubuy is out of stock and has no info on when it will be back in stock

marta young
- rush, dublin, ireland

----
Ed. note Dec 2013: buyasyoufly claims to have it again.

In response to the BBQ paint idea. I have recently sprayed my old George Foreman, due to scratches using BBQ paint. The BBQ paint does resist heat at the temperatures mentioned but the problem hear is the heat will not be omitted through because the paint is designed to withstand heat. So the heat does not come through correct and ends up heating the outside of the machine casing. So good idea but does not work. Sorry all.

Gavin Wareham
Groundworks - Poole, Dorset, England

I have a friend who lives in Spring Grove, IL. He left a teflon coated pot too close to a range burner which he left on.
Mark is a bird lover. He had 2 beloved parrots and over 25 finches.
They all died due to their sensitivity to what I assume to be perfluoro-octanoic acid, and whatever other pollutants are emitted.
None of the cats, fish, snakes or lizards died.
I do not know how hot the pot got, or if the coating disintegrated.
This does not scare me away from trying to repair my own pans. I will however do the curing in the Weber outside.

Rick Gellert
- Zion, Illinois

While searching for a non-stick cookware repair spray I ran across your forum. I did find some for sale on buyasyoufly.com/2537/product_detail.html but I also wrote to Dupont asking if they made a product like that and received the following reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. Due to the substrate preparation, baking/layering/spraying application and curing process that is required to apply DuPont nonstick coatings to cookware and household appliances, DuPont is not able to manufacture "spray on" Teflon® coating. We do not offer or recommend a service to recoat cookware or household appliances. . . "

Lee Miller
- Belton, Texas, USA

Brownells sells teflon spray coating for gun products to reduce carbon buildup. I don't know if that helps anyone. =>

Ed Watson
- Louisville, Kentucky USA

----
Ed. note: Thanks Ed, it may help some people -- but not those who want to recoat pots and pans; that would be very dangerous.

brownells_teflon_ovencure

A. I've had Exotic Birds (spoiled rotten at that) for many years while caring for a very needy Geriatric person.

Due to the information circulated about the potential of Teflon coatings producing a lethal gas, and the occasional need to step away from the stove for an urgent matter, we decided to go with steel pans. I also use steel pans for heating various oils to make my soaps.

Over time, we've found that the best non-chemical method of removing food, stains, or oils which have become sticky and tar-like on a steel pot is as follows:

* Fill the pan with water to the level of the sticky stuff.
* Add a couple drops of good grease fighting dish soap.
* Bring to a boil - then reduce to a low simmer.
* When it starts to release some of the problems, use a stiff or medium stiff brush to gently brush-work the gummy areas. (don't scrub or you'll make foam & splashes.)

** Note: if this doesn't get all of it within 30 mins, take the pot to the sink, dump most of the soap water, add a little more soap, and scrub with an SOS or other steel scrubby.

Personally, I like enamelware for cooking. No worries about true/false gasses or scratching a chemical coating, same cooking, cleaning techniques used as with stainless, Only 1 extra benefit.... if the enamel gets scratched/chipped - I can take it to a ceramic studio or restoration/body shop and have it recoated for a few bucks. ;-)

Mary Silas
Maker of Artisanal Hand Crafted Soaps - San Antonio, Texas, USA

Q. I work for a timeshare we have non-stick teflon pans. Always having to replace them, very costly -- want to know can I redo the pans, what do I use, and would this be cost effective?

tammy depew
- st pete florida

Q. Question:
I have read all previous questions and answers which all indicate that a non-stick repair spray for kitchen pans is no longer available anywhere.
About 6 years ago I purchased 3 spray cans of a product and used almost one which left the other two stored in a kitchen drawer. I recently found need for the product on a electric grill but when I went to retrieve, I found my son had cleaned out the drawer and tossed it out.
This was a great product and provided long lasting service. I find it inconceivable that it is no longer carried by an one.
Why was this taken off the market?

Paul Jansen
- Buffalo, New York, USA

A. Hi Paul. Sometimes -- which might be the case here -- it is just not possible to prove the safety of a product to a degree that satisfies the government and to where the risk of lawsuits is low enough. We currently live in an extremely risk-averse age, very different from when I was young. Products which were considered a great idea 25 years ago are often now considered too risky to market. That's my guess why no one will offer a repair spray of this type.

A. On the subject of non-stick repair spray, is the fact that you can't buy it maybe because by repairing pots and pans you seriously hurt sales of cookware? Planned Obsolescence!

James Tuck
- St Cloud, Florida, USA

A. That's the same conclusion I came to, whatever would happen if we could repair our pans. Think Stainless is the way forward ;-/

Sue Foster
- Dorset, UK

thumbsup2Hi Sue. You can try www.buyasyoufly.com/2537/product_detail.html as that page claims to sell it. But based on all the tail chasing in the previous postings, it won't surprise me if they don't :-)

A. http://www.buyasyoufly.com/2537/product_detail.html
As of this post it is available to ship in EU only.

http://www.intechservices.com/DuPont-Teflon-Coatings/How-to-Purchase

The second link requires you to submit a questionnaire for their review to determine if they will sell it to you.

Hope this helps. I'm going to have a friend in EU purchase and send to me as others have suggested.

Kelea Nevis
- Florence, Arizona, USA

Thanks Kelea. The only point of clarification that I would offer is to say that the two links have nothing to do with each other. The first link is to a product that is not Teflon, and has nothing to do with DuPont.

For those who can't get enough of a topic, see also letter 12601, "Need Teflon Spray Can for Home Cooking Pans/Pots".