Need Teflon Spray Can for Home Cooking Pans/Pots

++

Q. I am an ordinary householder who has a few Teflon coated pans in the kitchen, some of which need resurfacing. I was told by a friend that there is a product I can buy to bring them back to being usable.

Please help.

Howard Taylor
- United Kingdom

similarly

similarly

Q. I am looking for a Teflon Spray can paint that I want to use it on a cooking material (pots and pan with high temperature). Also, I need the instruction as how to apply the sprayed paint onto a metallic pots/pan. Regards,

Jay F. deleted
- Lexington, Massachusetts

Q. Dear Sirs:
I am trying to find out if there is available a spray can of Teflon which I can use to re-surface pans that have been scratched. Thank you.

Ron Adair
- Colorado Springs, Colorado

Q. There used to be readily available in hardware stores and the like an aerosol can of Teflon spray that could be used to resurface a waffle iron or other cooking utensil that originally came with a Teflon coating. I can't find those anymore, Where can I get one?

J. F. Brauer
- Broomfield, Colorado

Q. I, too, need this Teflon spray in a can for repair purposes in my hobby. Anybody come up with a source? (-:

Tom Hamilton
- Claremore, Oklahoma

A. There are in the market sprays that contains PTFE. Those sprays are used as a releaser in rubber molding. For the applications you mention it does not work well, the coatings onto the cookware must be cured at 400º C (750º F) and I suppose you don't have a oven for this temperature. You'd better buy a new frying pan.

Jordi Pujol
- Barcelona, SPAIN

+++++++

A. People have been known to say that the teflon spray had problems sticking to the original teflon and would eventually come off. It may have been recalled, for health reasons.
Many people have issues with cooking on teflon pans to begin with.

H. Mann
- Dudley, Massachusetts

A. The Teflon that is applied to cooking surfaces should be FDA approved. To properly apply this type of Teflon, the area must first be preheated (to release any residual oils) then sandblasted clean. Next the Teflon is sprayed onto the surface and baked in an oven that is approximately 800 degrees. I think that the spray you have been writing about was a type of coating that was neither approved for cooking surfaces or for continuous use.

Jan Duncan
- Portland, Oregon

A. Application of actual Teflon® / PTFE coatings is a multi-step industrial process, Jay, involving mechanical polishing of the surfaces, special etching, primers, high temperature fusion with proper exhaust and fume scavenging, etc. A bonded Teflon® coating is not something that you can just spray out of a can like paint.

The non-stick repair product you are referring to is discussed in letter 10027, "NON-STICK COOKWARE SPRAY TO FIX POTS & PANS?", but it is not available anymore; and it is not teflon -- it is a proprietary mix of Butyl Cellosolve, P.M. Acetate, and Cellosolve Acetate solvents that were cured/baked to hardness.

Several of finishing.com's supporting advertisers who are Teflon applicators explain that although they can certainly re-coat pots and pans, it's less expensive to buy new ones.

A. Teflon Spray for re surfacing cooking pans was available several years ago at Hardware Stores. It was taken off the retail market when anti-gun nuts made an issue of Teflon Coated bullets which were outlawed as it was claimed they could penetrate Police Body Armour. If it is once again available then do let us know as I am about to replace some good pans. Thanks.

Ed Rapisardi
- Leesburg, Florida

Hi Ed. We appreciate your effort to help, but I think that story is urban legend. The spray in question was never teflon, so it wouldn't have been removed from shelves for that reason; and you can't apply teflon to pots and pans that way anyway, so there would not have been spray teflon for pots and pans; and sprayed teflon lubricants and sprayed teflon coatings for other purposes have remained available =>

My own belief is that our society became much more chemically safety-conscious (maybe paranoid?), and it just became too risky to continue to market these kinds of oven-bakeable solvents for use on food-service products.

No! No! No!

Not for Food Service!

brownells_teflon_ovencure

A. Found this letter, in the Minneapolis Star Tribune in the FixitUp Answer and Question section, regarding recoating teflon pans.

"For non-electric cookware, there is one industrial applicator (licensed by Dupont) that does re-coating. [They] will remove the existing coating and apply Silverstone to cookware up to 24 inches in diameter at $10 per pan, plus shipping, sales tax, etc . . . There are no do-it-yourself Teflon spray coating products."

Guess we are out of luck.

Joel Gilb
- Hoffman Estates, Illinois, USA

I looked up the article that Joel suggested, and the company name was OPI, 2208 S. 19th St., Sheboygan, WI.

++appended

Q. I have some strap pans used in a bakery for breads. Is there a Teflon spray that can be applied after the current coating effectiveness has diminished.

Dennis Tdeleted
- Louisville, Kentucky, USA

A. I found this link at eKitchenGadgets.com that advertises a repair coating. I have never used it and am debating with myself over trying it. Or go to www.hometrendscatalog.com and look for product #109041.

I have not yet tried it and can't attest to its efficacy.

james H. King
pest control - Tallahassee, Florida

A. If anyone is interested, I found a Non-Stick Surface Repair Spray in the Harriet Carter gifts catalog. It is 5.98 a can. I have not tried it yet, so I don't know if it's any good.

Charlotte Nickel
- Las Vegas, Nevada

Ed. note: Sorry, link were struck through as eKitchenGadgets, hometrendscatalog, and Harriet Carter no longer carry that product. We previously removed links to Walter Drake and several others who no longer carry it either. Sorry, but we are quite confident that the product is no longer marketed, at least in America.

A. Our experience is that if the coating (i.e., Teflon spray ) goes on easily, it also comes off easily. Yes it is not a simple paint on application, and will become part of your diet. Have a professional shop redo your Teflon.

Lawrence Henry
industrial coating - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I was at one time looking to re-do my Teflon pans and did find something like you're looking for. All you do is spray it on outdoors and put in oven at a certain temperature (not sure of temperature) and it worked. So now I am also looking for the same product. Don't be afraid to do.

Martha Blocker
- Napa California

Hi, Martha. Thanks for the tip, but you will find that that spray is no longer available. You can see letter 10027 to watch the history as it went off the market.

Q. Is there a Teflon or other composite spray which can be applied to a metal surface and experience operating pressure of about 200 psi and temperature around 400-500 °F?

Eric Puchala
hobbyist - Chicago, Illinois, USA

A. Hi Eric. You can try the previously mentioned Brownells oven-cured teflon/moly coating. But as Lawrence has told us, easy on probably equals easy off :-)

I think you'll probably need an industrially applied coating, not a quick and easy spray. Good luck.

Q. Do you think this guys that resurface pots and pans can resurface some metal electric heaters, the kind that go inside solution?

Rodrigo Salinas
Metal Finishing - El Paso, Texas / Cd. Juarez, Mex

Q. I have an application at our place of business that requires us heating up a die rule to about 275 °F. We are experiencing a lot of sticking to the die rule some days. We need a Teflon spray, etc. to eliminate this problem. If anyone can tell me the name of the spray Teflon, and/or where to get it at in southern Calif. I sure would appreciate it. Thanks,

Dennis Rice
- Commerce, California

Q. I wish to be able to Teflon coat home cast projectiles. Could you please advise me of the process involved in connection with Teflon coating lead projectiles.

Richard Julian Varnava
Pistol club shooter - Sunbury, Victoria, Australia

Hi Dennis, hi Richard. For NON-FOOD surfaces, the Brownells spray and bake coating might prove of some value to you. I'm not sure.

Q. I just read the other postings and was wondering what was with the mold releasing spray being used for resurfacing teflon. Is that safe?

Nicole B.deleted
student - Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

A. Hi, Nicole. It's probably reasonably safe in my estimation, for that application -- but you can't use it on food surfaces like pots and pans.

! I found teflon spray by DUPONT at Amazon.

Don Bulloch
- Acworth, Georgia

Hi, Don. I see teflon lubricants, of course =>

But please don't spray anything like that on a food surface! It is not meant for that purpose! Lubricants (besides not sticking to the pan) are probably poisonous.

No! No! No!

Not for Food Service!

Teflon Lubricant

Q. I need a non sticking spray coating for my carbon steel round die for wood pellet production. The wood pellets get stuck in and not all are discharged.

Do you think the Brownell's Teflon will work?

Rahmat Suhaimi
Biomass production - Malaysia