HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum  letter 29692

Teflon recoating of pots & pans and kitchen utensils

A discussion started in 2001 and continuing through 2017 . . .

(2001)

Q. I am interested in gaining expertise in coating of all sorts on aluminum cooking utensils. Is there anybody who could guide me or provide any sort of assistance or information as to who should I contact.

Most of the kitchen utensils are made of stainless steel, or iron or sometimes even aluminum. I want to know if there is a supplier who can supply me a Teflon coating machine, which can do a Teflon coating on utensils of various sizes (usually pan size). Can a single machine be used to coat different metals like mentioned above. Maybe in a batch or a first in first out basis, or one at a time basis.

Ankit Shyam
- Lucknow, UP, India

(2001)

Q. I am writing from the Republic of South Africa I have been trying to find a company to recoat kitchen utensils which the Teflon coating has worn off. I have been unsuccessful. Is there someone who can help either by informing on how the process is done or going further and maybe starting a business venture. I have found that there is a great demand for this and no known solution to this problem in this country.

Hoping to hear from SOMEONE.

Rath Wilson
- Pretoria, Gauteng, R. South Africa

(2001)

A. There is a company in Durban that might just be what you are looking for.

Dave Brackenridge
aerospace plating - Germiston, South Africa

To minimize searching and thrashing, and to provide multiple points of view, Finishing.com combined formerly separate threads into the single dialog you are now viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition.

(2002)

RFQ: This is probably a question that has been answered many times before but I need to find a company that will recoat some teflon fry pans. One of them is electric. Can anyone help me?

Roberta Meisel
- Fenton, Michigan
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

(2002)

A. Roberta,

This site mainly deals with mainstream industrial platings and coatings. Teflon coating of pans is a specialized niche, and not a common industrial process. Your best bet is to call the manufacturer of the pan.

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan

(2002)

A. Hi Roberta. There were a few companies doing this at one time:

- OPI, 2208 S. 19th St., Sheboygan, WI was mentioned in the Minneapolis Star Tribune in the FixitUp Answer and Question section many years ago, but I don't think they offer that service anymore if they ever actually did. It's not mentioned on their website (opicoatings.com).

- Frypanman.com in Vancouver, WA was another service, but that domain now seems to be just a "link farm" for many years now.

Several shops that do teflon coating have told us that it's technically possible to recoat pots & pans, but not economically feasible.

sidebar (2002)

Q. Many years ago I purchased a spray can of Teflon coating from a hardware store. I sandblasted my waffle iron and followed the directions on the can. It was then baked in my oven and has served me for many years and looks as good as the original one. I haven't been able to find this product again WHY?

John Grafton
- Clermont, Florida

A. Hi John. I believe you are correct that you found a non-stick coating at a hardware store years ago, but (to quibble over details) I doubt it was actually teflon. Please see letter 10027, "NON-STICK COOKWARE SPRAY TO FIX POTS & PANS?" which notes that it is no longer available anywhere (at least in America), and guesses why, and explains exactly what that spray actually was :-)

There are still teflon sprays (lubricants) available in hardware stores, and non-stick coatings available from gunsmiths, but they are not food-safe! In fact, some probably contain poisonous petroleum distillates, so don't even consider it.

Luck and Regards,

Seeking Teflon re-coating service

(2003)

Seeking Teflon re-coating spray or service in Cape Town, South Africa to re-coat frying pans, etc. It seems to me that this niche (re-coating food utensils) is not being exploited, so there might be scope for someone with a solution to this problem.

Ivan Copelowitz
consumer enquiry - Cape Town, Western Province, South Africa

Starting a Teflon Recoating business for Pots & Pans

(2003)

RFQ: I have been looking at starting a business in South Africa on recoating kitchen utensils with Teflon or similar. I need information on suppliers of relevant plant to do the job. Is anybody doing this in South Africa? Any information on this subject will be appreciated.

Shan M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Randburg, South Africa
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

(2003)

Q. Hi and thank you for taking time into reading this message. I just graduated from a local university and I majored in metallurgic engineering, I want to start a business of my own and thought that Teflon coating would be a good idea. I know about the basic properties and application procedures of Teflon, but I would like to know more about the different types of applications, and the necessity of primers and mid-coats. I am looking for a mentor who would introduce me to the business of Teflon coating.

Again, thanks for reading this.

Sincerely,

Juan E [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

(2004)

Q. I'm sick and tired of throwing away Teflon coated pans. No one in our area re-coats them. I'm seriously considering starting a business that would provide this service. I don't know what is involved or how to go about it. Can you help me in finding out what would be involved and the approximate cost of equipment for starting such an operation? Perhaps no one is doing it because it is too costly or too difficult to do as a small endeavor? I'd greatly appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

S. Fernandes
retired - San Jose, California

(2004)

A. It simply is not cost effective to re-coat. The original mfgr. coats them in hundreds at a time, normally all the same size. To recoat, you would need to strip the old coating, polish the pan and recoat. Typical small business needs to charge at least $50. per hour. You would have at least an hour per pan. Then add shipping on top of that. You simply cannot compete, especially with all of the cheap stuff coming from China now.

(2004)

A. I respectfully disagree with James Watts. There are a couple of Teflon recoaters: www.frypanman.com and www.fluorosurfacing.com

Ed. note: Update Dec. 2013 -- The domain frypanman.com has been just a link farm for many years now, and fluorosurfacing.com has not existed for years.

They charge between 10 and 20 dollars a pan, depending on size and volume.

I gather that they do a bunch of pans at a time to get some of the benefit of larger production runs. Few people would pay even that to recoat a pan that costs only $10 to begin with, but some higher end cookware lines like LTD have 10" nonstick pans that cost $70.

I have never applied a Teflon coating but having researched it a little, believe the process is something like:
-Sandblast the old finish off the pans
-Mix a batch of the coating
-Apply the coating
-Cure the pans in an oven

You would need a sandblaster (the fine 'beadblasting' type), a spray booth, and some kind of oven. The best starting point would be to talk to the Teflon people at DuPont and find out more about the process. Remember that what I describe above is based on slightly informed speculation rather than my own experience.

If you do go into the recoating business, I've got some pans that need it. Good luck.

Bruce Poropat
- Berkeley, California

(2004)

A. I'm sure it will be a great business. I'm Teflon coating in Spain, and I believe you are in the good way.

To reduce pollution it is good to recycle. You can learn more about the process at www.fisasa.com/teflon_proceso.htm

Ed. note: Update Dec. 2013 -- The domain 'fisasa.com' is still good, but the '/teflon_proceso.htm' page no longer exists.

If you need any help, I'll do my best.

Jordi Pujol
- Barcelona, Spain

(2005)

Q. I am currently setting up in Australia. Any suggestions?

Michael Woof
- Henty, Australia

(2005)

A. I have used the Frypanman services for my restaurant with very successful results. They don't last quite as long as the original teflon coating but it lasts long enough, saves a lot of money and keeps my pans out of the landfill.

Ed. note: Update Dec. 2013 -- The domain frypanman.com has been just a link farm for many years; if anyone has knowledge of what happened to that service, please update us.

Paul Kuck
- Eugene, Oregon

Q. I also want to re-coat a lot of my pans. I would like more info on the process. How can you adjust the thickness, and what temperature is needed to cure it, and how long at the curing temperature?,

Is there a good website for it, and where do you order the product and what is the product name to re-coat them?

Rick Harvey
- Cadet, Missouri

Q. Dear friends,

I too interested in teflon re-coating for bakery pans.
Any final suggestions?.

Anyone know about the exact process & machinery required for this set up?

Please Advise.

Cheers !

Abdul Rahim
- New Delhi, India

Q. I have been looking at starting a business in South Africa on re-coating kitchen utensils like pots and pans with Teflon or similar. I need information on suppliers of the relevant equipment needed to do this job. I want to start small, but I know this will grow in no time at all. Any information on this subject will be gratefully appreciated.

Peter Coetzee
Private - Cape Town. South Africa