How do I paint my interior house walls with a iridescent look?

+

I would love to paint the interior walls of my house with an iridescent paint! Not metallic but possibily pastel colors or white with the iridescent look. Can anyone please tell me how to do this? Is it difficult?

Thank you for any help you can offer! Michelle Martin
- Kettering, Ohio

+

By coincidence, I was thumbing through Good Housekeeping today and there was an ad from TruValue Hardware Stores for paint supplies describing how to get some of the weird effects like skyscapes with clouds, flocked finishes, etc.

They showed one that was sort of iridescent, I guess. It involved two layers of paint, close in shade. The slightly paler color was put on first, then the second coat was an enamel in a very slightly darker shade and put on with a rag so that the background color showed through to varying degrees, giving a luminous look. The top coat was actually comprised of one part enamel to two parts of what they called 'glaze' but I don't know exactly what 'glaze' is--perhaps an enamel with no pigment?--but hopefully TruValue will.

+

You have to first paint the wall a flat color of your choice, you can finish over it with a glittering clear acrylic paint, you can find the sample of what you like in a craft store near you (like Michaels) and take it to a hardware store (like Home Depot) to find the match. If you like you can also sponge a darker glaze over it, if you have Home Depot in your area check for accent and texture paints, they have a bunch of brochures and guides for all sorts of beautiful artistic finishes.

Anahita
- San Diego, California

I want iridescent paint too.

KC Jones
- Bedford, Texas and USA