Titanium Coating on stainless steel

+++++

Q. I am just looking for the process of Titanium Coating on the stainless steel parts like Scissors, Pluckers for the decorative purpose the result product is in different shades like green, yellow and blue all mixed giving a decorative impact I am desparate about this is there anybody to answer my question?

I am attaching a picture and this is assumed to be the Titanium coated I am just looking for this process these colours are deposited/plated?

I am ready to buy this set up if the results are satisfactory

AHSAN HAQ
- LONDON, UK

+++++

A. Dear Ashan!

Stainless steel can be colour anodized.

It can be heat tinted too.

Hope it helps!

July 10, 2012appended

Q. How to get coating of titanium on stainless steel? I have viewed rainbow shades on the scissors, which is called the titanium coating.

Luqman Rafiq
- Gujranwala, Pakistan

A. Hi Luqman.

The coloration is actually a diffraction pattern similar to what you see in carnival glass or the rainbow sheen of a drop of oil on a puddle of water. It results because the titanium oxide layer on the surface is transparent and of varying thickness.

My understanding is that the titanium is applied to the stainless steel with a PVD process, then the coloration is done by anodizing the titanium to varying thicknesses by controlling the immersion depth, time and voltage.

But the people who have invested years of effort in developing this process and are now profiting from its popularity aren't going to simply give us the whole technology for free as a package. You must find someone who is licensing the technology, or retain a consultant who is experienced in it, or glean pieces of it from here and there (as I'm doing), then invest substantial effort to perfect it. Best of luck!

October 24, 2012appended

Q. I had some questions about using a titanium coating (probably by Titanium Nitride) to get vibrant colors on stainless steel spinner rings (jewelry).

Question 1: Is the coating durable? People will be spinning the rings frequently by hand.

Question 2: I want to make a 2 tone ring. Can I do a black base coat, laser engrave/remove the surfaces I want to be a different color, and then do a second coat in a brighter color, say green? Or will the new color just overwrite the black and create an all-green surface.

I look forward to your feedback.
-Aaron

Aaron Laniewicz
- Silver Spring, Maryland
contact