Copper Sulphate as Swimming Pool Algae Remedy?

+

Q. I'm hoping some can help me with this question, and I know absolutely nothing about copper sulfateamazoninfo.

My question is this: we own an in-ground swimming pool, and last year had terrible problems with algae because of heavy rains all season. We spend hundreds of dollars (as did many other people) in trying to control the problem. Of course my husband thinks that we didn't need to spend all that money through the swimming pool experts and that much of their chemicals are just a money making scam. My husband had also been told by a friend, that copper sulphate was the answer to this kind of problem. After using a very small amount of it in his pool, it apparently cleared up this friends nasty swimming pool algae in no time. It was also pocket-book friendly. This friend claimed that he received this information as a tip from a someone who works for a swimming pool company, and that this remedy is not sold as a water cleaner/clarifier by swimming pool companies.

My query lies in wondering why this is not sold by swimming pool companies as a water clarifier/cleaner. Is there a reason for this? What would be the long term effects/damage or heath concerns involved in trying something like this? Is copper sulphate an agent that is already used in manufactured swimming pool chemicals? My husband wants to try it this year, but I'm a little nervous about it. I could easily go and ask the swimming pool people about it, but I wanted an unbiased and educated opinion on this subject.

I'd appreciate any input on this.

Tracie K. Wren
- Cobden, Ontario, Canada

+

A. I occasionally use copper sulfate (we use "f" instead of "ph" in the states, eh?) in my pool. Municipalities have been using it for years to control algae growth in surface drinking water supplies. Copper sulfate is not a substitute for chlorine or other purifying media. It is, essentially, a metallic poison that in small concentrations inhibits algae growth. I use it in 1-2 mg/liter (as copper sulfate) concentrations. You should have access to a source to analyze trace copper should you need to add more. Like I said, copper sulfate is poisonous, so use it at your own risk.

George Brackett III
- Utica, New York

++++

Q. Copper Sulfate has been used for years as an effective means of algae control in surface water but is it safe to use in swimming pools and if so how much would you use in a 30,000 gal pool and how often...

Thanks for any help.

Bobby Lee
Hobbyist - Russellville, Alabama

++++

A. One part per million of copper in drinking water is quite safe, and 0.5 parts per million is enough to control green algae in swimming pools. Most copper sulphate contains around 20-25% copper,so a 50,000 liter pool would require 100 - 120 grms copper sulphate if the pool is green I would give a once off double dose. Test kits are available to test the concentration off copper in the water. A word of caution, copper used in conjunction with too much chlorine will eventually cause black stains on marble plaster, although these can easily be removed by "acid washing" the pool. One cup of calcium hypochlorite per week will be enough to keep the water sanitised. As always maintain a Ph of 7.2 - 7.6

Garry Sunderland
- South Africa

InstaTest Cu/pH/Alkalinity

++++

Q. I have exactly the same problem with the chlorine and the sulphate turning the grouting black, can you please tell me what "One cup of calcium hypochlorite per week will be enough to keep the water sanitised." does this get rid of the black or do I have to empty the pool and use acid, what is another name for calcium hypochlorite and where would I be able to buy it.

Robin Dillon
- Minorca, Spain

++++

Another name for calcium hypochlorite is probably 'chlorine tablets'. So, no, these don't remove the black stain, excessive use of them causes the stain.

++++

A. Calcium Hypochlorite is also known as unstabilised chlorine , ie, it is not combined with cyanuric acid. It comes in granular or tablet form. Stabilised chlorine, e.g.(Trichlorisocyanuricacid)is usually in tablet form in those floating chlorinators . Both are chlorine and will stain marble plaster black when used with copper.

Copper sulphate, whilst being an excellent algaecide will not sanitise (disinfect) your pool water, thats where the chlorine comes in, or you could use hydrogen peroxideamazoninfo it will sanitise the water and won't stain the pool,it has the added benefit of being harmless to the ozone layer (it breaks down into hydrogen and oxygen). Draining the pool and washing down with a weak hydrochloric acid solution will remove the stains. Ask the guys at the pool shop how to do it, so you don't damage your plaster.

Garry Sunderland
- South Africa

++++

Q. I have had a pool for 4 years and use an ioniser as the primary water treatment with occasional chlorine treatments. I noticed that the grouting in the tiles has turned bright green and also the children's scalps and hair have turned green ! Obviously I am worried about this, On testing the water I found high levels of copper how can I remove it from the water?

Mrs L Aquilina
pool owner - Gharb, Gozo, Malta

++++

A. A chelating agent will remove the copper from the water (ask at the pool shop) As for the hair, a little vinegar in the final rinse after washing should remove the green tint.

Garry Sunderland
- South Africa

++++

Q. I've been thinking about using copper sulfate in my vinyl lined pool. I've been searching the web a long time to find out the difference between copper sulfate and the ionized copper that comes from the ionizers that's being sold. If I'm correct their both positive ions, one is water soluble, and the other just(for lack of the proper word) invisibly hangs in the water. Does anyone know the difference? This is the first site I've come across where someone has actually said they use copper sulfate in their pool. Thank you.

Ruby Edwards
- Morganton, North Carolina, USA

Q. This is a follow-up question. Use of copper sulfate in swimming pool to control algae, is this a one-time treatment or weekly or monthly treatment? Or just add some when sign of algae appears?

john hu
- baton rouge, Louisiana

A. I have been using copper sulfate in my above ground (11,000) gals. At a rate of 4 TEASPOONS of the Granular dissolved in 4 gals of water then poured evenly around entire perimeter of the pool.I do this once a month. Additionally, I add one lb. of granular Shock about once every 6 to 10 days, depending on traffic and rain. I have been doing this for 4 years and have the bluest cleanest pool around. The amounts I use were prescribed to me by an engineer who works for a chemical company that sells to municipalities all over the SE U.S.
Naturally you are not going to get any information about this from your pool supply companies.I pay $25.00 for 5 lbs. of Copper Sulfate, which is about a 6 to 8 year supply.

Randall Gatlin
- Gulfport, Mississippi USA