-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Clear coat for bottle cap floor?

Q. This question is different from the table top epoxy resin post I read (letter 17560) because this is a floor application.

I tiled my MAN CAVE bathroom floor with bottle caps (approx. 8,650 caps), I plan to grout it and apply a protective clear coat on top. What is a clear coat that bonds to metal(caps), is non-yellowing, and will withstand foot traffic? Any advice is appreciated.

Bottle Cap Floor  Bottle Cap Floor 2

Dave Riley
hobbyist - Lynchburg, Virginia, USA

A. Dave,

First, that is one of the coolest ideas I have ever seen.

Second, I would suggest some type of polyurethane that you might use to finish wood. You can get ones that are very hard and can be built up in layers. You also might want to see if one of those garage floor epoxy systems comes in a clearcoat version.

Whatever you do, I would suggest two things. First, make sure the caps are filled in the back so they don't bend. Second, the best way to test is to get some test caps, make up some test pieces with various coatings/resins/etc, and step on them!

Again, that's one of the neatest things I've seen.

Christian M. Restifo
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

A. All I can say is "GOD I HOPE THEY ARE ALL BEER CAPS!" And. I really don't think you have to worry about filling the caps prior to grouting them into place. Bottle caps are tough little suckers just try putting one on a cement floor and stepping on it. If you happen to have them arranged in the fashion of your photos I think you could probably drive a car over it. You may want to tack then down with contact cement before you begin grouting them in though. :)

Rod Henrickson
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Q. I would love to how you did this..i.e. products used, and whether you found a sealer. We are considering doing this to a floor we have and we have been doing some research, and you floor is the closest thing we have seen to what we would like to do. Any help/advice/information would be appreciated.

And awesome job BTW!

Nicole Schroeder
- Kettering, Ohio

Q. Your work has inspired my son and I to design a new floor in our basement bathroom. Any design advice would be most appreciated. Also, where did you acquire all of those caps ?

Marilyn Janosko
- Roanoke, Virginia

A. Hi Marilyn. The caps for these projects usually come from drinking a huge lot of beer. Since that portion of the project doesn't seem, shall we say, attractive for a mother-son team, you can get bottle caps on Amazon =>

Pourable clear coats are available =>

. . . but I'd try a small square and see how it holds up to foot traffic, and to appreciate the cost, before attempting a whole room. Good luck.

Ted Mooney,

50 Bottle Caps in one color

thumbsup2Thanks for the Amazon info! While the beer drinking is not a horrible idea, my son is under age, and I, personally prefer a nice Pino Noir :) but cork flooring isn't nearly as colorful or durable as bottle caps. Maybe I'll place my children and their friends on an unrestricted Orange Crush and Root Beer extravaganza. Thanks again. Your floor is amazing

Marilyn Janosko
- Roanoke, Virginia

Q. Hi I am currently collecting bottle caps and was going to use them on a wall design but having seen your floor idea I am thinking we can use them to cover a small toilet area floor that we have in our micropub. The only thing that bothers me is whether I could achieve a finish that is non slip? The toilet is mainly used by our customers but we are only a small establishment.

Mrs Jay Topham
micropub - Henlow, Bedfordshire England

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search