Questions about zinc electroplating specification Fe/Zn8

An ongoing discussion from 2001 through 2014 . . .

Fe/Zn 8 clarification of required thickness

(2001)

Q. When ASTM B633 [link is to spec at TechStreet] specifies SC2 (Fe/Zn8) does this mean a minimum or an exact? Can the supplier send us material with a range of 8-12 microns with the 9-12 microns having a deposit build up which interferes with the functionality of our part?

Janice Tessier
- Sealy, Texas

(2001)

A. To the best of my knowledge, the thickness is the minimum. It would be very difficult to obtain a certain thickness exactly, for example 8 microns. We need to have a range on the thickness.

You could specify also a maximum thickness, and work with your supplier to see if it is possible to work on this range.

I hope this helps.

Enrique Segovia
- Monterrey, Mexico

(2001)

A. Hello Janice,

Is the product that you are having a problem with a fastener? The spec. Fe/Zn 8 calls out a minimum specification (0.00031") for zinc on steel, I believe. However, a standard 2A/2B thread fit only has an allowance for finishing of 0.00025". If the plater is trying to meet the intent of the specification which you have called out, and the fastener is relatively long, it is very possible that there will be enough zinc on the starter thread to cause a thread interference. The same issue can occur on a stamping with a threaded hole.

Hope that this helps.

Brian A. Calver, CEF
- Grimsby, Ontario, Canada

A. You could specify the maximum thickness allowed for Fe/Zn 12 classification.

Thiagaraj Maruthi
Engineer in conveyor manufacturing - Kluang, Johor, Malaysia

(2005)

Q. We are quoting a electroplate spec and want to better understand the "breakdown" of the spec. Ep-Fe/Zn8/CM2.

Kim Hewitt
Metal Stamper - Fraser Michigan

A. Ep : electroplate
Fe : substrate to be plated
Zn : kind of plating
8 : thickness (8 mic)
CM1 : blue chromate
CM2 : yellow chromate

Joko P. Yuniartanto
- Bekasi, West Java, Indonesia

Hi Kim. Hopefully Joko's reply answered your question satisfactorily. Still I would warn that several different zinc plating specs might include a type Fe/Zn8/CM2, while including additional requirements about testing, lot size, etc. So you probably should be careful to call it out at ASTM spec. no xxxx type Fe/Zn8/CM2 or ISO xxxx type Fe/Zn8/CM2 or Nissan xxxx type Fe/Zn8/CM2 or whatever the case.

Q. According to my customer's drawing, it requires surface treatment: Fe/Zn 8 C5. I don't know what "Fe/Zn 8 C5" means. Please inform me if somebody knows, thanks.

Claire Hsieh
exporter of fasteners - Taipei, Taiwan

Hi, Claire. It's probably ASTM B633 [link is to spec at TechStreet] -- but who can say that there isn't another spec somewhere, perhaps from another country, which has a Fe/Zn 8 C5 paragraph? Even if we agree on what these letters mean in one spec, we can't be sure what is wanted without a spec number.

A. Fe/zn 8 c5 :
means zinc coated iron with 8 micron thickness

NASER SAMEI
- TEHRAN, IRAN

Q. What is the meaning in the electrolytic coating spec "Fe/Zn8/F1" Pc:black passivation Cr+3 Fe/Zn8/F1 - FTR 00025 for an electrolytic coating of zinc on steel, with a minimal thickness of 8µ, is having a black layer of Chrome III passivation?

Ozgur Usluer
plating shop employee - Izmir, Turkiye

Hi, Ozgur. 'Black passivation Cr+3' must surely mean trivalent chromate conversion coloring in the color black. "FTR 00025" doesn't mean anything to me -- sorry. You can't proceed without a copy of the specification, so please ask the buyer to supply a copy of it or tell you where to get it.

What does "TLP" mean in spec Fe/Zn8/TLP?

Q. What is the TLP meaning in the electroplate spec Fe/Zn8/TLP

KH NON
- Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

A. Hi. Google tells me that TLP stands for 'thick layer passivated'.

SK Cheah
- Penang, Malaysia

Q. What is HB in 'Ep-Fe/Zn[2]/HB CM2'?

Yan Biau Chow

A. Hi.

HB indicates a post treatment of Baking for Hydrogen removal.

SK Cheah
- Penang/Malaysia

Q. What about CM(iii)3?

TF NG
- Seremban, NS, Malaysia

Q. What does EP-Fe/Zn-Ni8/CM2C mean? Could you help me to understand this specification?

Armando Diaz
- Metepec, Mexico

A. I'm really not understanding this thread, cousins. Doesn't the spec say what its abbreviations mean? Is everybody plating without the spec on hand, and issuing certs based only on internet rumors? Bone jure :-)

What is SEZn-CM finishing?

May 14, 2014appended

Q. Hi, I'd like to find out what is SEZn-CM finishing. This is stated in my customer drawing under surface treatment so I'm checking what finishing is this.

Best regards

Ivan Teo

A. Hi Ivan,
If this is on your customer drawing your best bet is to ask your customer what it means.

Never ceases to amaze me, how were you ever able to quote for the job if you didn't understand what it entailed?

Brian Terry
Aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, UK

Q. Hi Team,

Anybody able to advise me whether DIN 50691 Fe/Zn8b is equal to ASTM B633-98?

Sugumaran s/o Doraisamy
- penang malaysia