Abbreviations used in Honda plating specs and JIS electroplating specs: MFZn-Ni, MFZn1c, MFZn2-C, MFZn-1S-2

++++

Q. Regarding Honda's plating spec no. MFZn2-C. What color would the chromate be on this spec? It seems unclear whether it would be clear or yellow chromate.

Robert Bittner
metal stamping manufacturer - Geneva, Ohio

A. Per your question regarding MFZn2-C, "C" means Yellow passivation.
B means Blue passivation,
C means Yellow passivation and
K means Black passivation

Ars SRP
- Bangkok, Thailand

A. I think C may refer to CLEAR and K may refer to Black? Be happy to hear from someone who KNOWS!

Debbie Adeleted
- Grand Rapids, Michigan USA

A. C means the Zn plating color is yellow, and B means Bright color.

FRANK HSU
- Taichung, Taiwan

thumbsup2Hi Debbie. I understand; but the way to KNOW is to read the spec. I hope people are not quoting and plating to specs they don't even have -- but seeing so many inquiries here, there seems little doubt that some people are doing just that. I'd love to see the certs:

"We hereby certify that these parts have been plated in full accordance with prevailing rumors ..."  :-)

+++

Q. Does anybody know what the plating spec. MFZn-Ni 8-a3-3 is?

John J Colucci
- Waterbury, Connecticut

+++++++

Q. I'm working in a plating shop in Bekasi, Indonesia. I have a question from my customer about the meaning of the number "2" in symbols MFZn-1S-2. Would you please find the answer or tell me where I can find the answer. Thank You.

Cintadi P. Liauw
Plating shop - Bekasi, Jawa Barat, Indonesia

A. Hi John. Apparently "MF" means a ferrous substrate in lots of different Japanese specs; "Zn-Ni" means zinc-nickel plating, "8" probably means 8 micron plating thickness. "a3-3" is probably some description of the chromating requirement but I'm not sure.

Hello Cintadi. It has the sound of a JIS spec for zinc plating plus chromating on steel to me,

These letters and numbers are not specifications! They are acronyms used within a specification. I would inquire of these customer if they are referring to Japanese specifications JIS H-8610 [link is to spec at TechStreet] and JIS H-8625 [link is to spec at TechStreet] or some other spec. Good luck.

+++++++

Q. I am looking for the details on spec ESP-WS-7620 REV. K with surface treatment MFZn-2S

Angie Robinson
Fastener Distributor - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA

A. Hi Angie. According to an on-line list of specs maintained by epiplating.com, I believe that one is a Mitsubishi Motors spec for zinc plating on a steel substrate. Good luck.

Q. Hi I am Karthik. I am entirely new to plating, so could you help me in describing the following plating specification?

MFZn1c -- what does this means?

Karthik Kanniyappan
- Chennai, India

A. Hi Karthik.

Where did you get that spec? Did it come from a Honda drawing? If not, is it reasonable to think from the circumstances where you found it that it is a Honda spec? If it came from Honda, you get the spec from your Honda buyer. Good luck.

Q. What does this mean?

MFZnNi2-B

Muhammad Khan
- Pakistan, Karachi

A. Hi Muhammad. It sounds like zinc-nickel alloy plating. Please put it into context: where did you hear it?

Most people seem to think it's a Honda spec, so if you have no reason to believe otherwise, then you probably ought to contact Honda and get the spec. You cannot offer plating to a spec. without having the spec. in hand, so finding out what the acronyms stand for isn't the whole answer anyway. Good luck.

Q. Hi, Ted Mooney

Yes, it is Honda Spec.

MFZnNi2-B
This is Zinc alloy plating (Ni is 6 ~ 10%)
Thickness is 8 Microns min and Bright in colour

Please explain in detail.

Muhammad Khan
- Karachi, Pakistan

A. Hi cousin. Sorry, but we might be having some language difficulties. You've told us this is a Honda spec. for Zn-Ni plating with 6-10% nickel, a minimum of 8 microns in thickness, and must be bright in color. So I don't quite understand what you mean by asking us to tell you "what does it mean?" :-)

If you are asking us to put the spec on line or email it to you, sorry but no one is allowed to do that except your Honda buyer and perhaps specification services which have licensed that right from Honda. You must contact your Honda buyer and get their specs from them. Good luck.

I would like to know about "MFZn-5TC" surface coating. If anyone has the answer please let me know.

Shravan Tripathi
- Indore, India

August 30, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Dear sir,

Please tell me about mfzn5-c for JIS SPECIFICATION. AND APPLICATION THEN FEATURES.

Marudhupandian Ganesan
- Chennai, India

A. Hi Marudhupandian.

I hope this isn't too confusing, but if I were to ask you to tell me about "type 1 class 2" plating, you would respond that it is a shorthand within a specification, and will mean different things depending on what specification I'm talking about, and I'd need to find out the specification number first.

While we might assume that MFZN5-C means 5 microns of zinc plating with yellow chromate, that code is a shorthand within a specification (perhaps JIS H-8610 and JIS H-8625) but you must find out what specification number it refers to and get a copy of it, because there is really nothing to prevent a given manufacturer from using that acronym/abbreviation for something different in a different spec. Good luck.

November 21, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Good afternoon,

I am from South Africa and have never encountered this specification before: MF Zn Ni T2-C
Could you assist please?

Jade Cupido
Technical Service Analyst - South Africa

What Honda spec is MFZn2-C defined on?

John

John Tak
- Cleveland, Ohio, USA

A. Answering my own question...

MFZn2-C is defined on Honda HES D2003-05.

How to interpret MFZn2-C (what the M means, what the F means, etc) is defined on Honda HES A3010-05.

Unfortunately, as best I can tell, the "-C" just means "colored chromate" and doesn't indicate clear or yellow.

John Tak [returning]
- Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Q. Can I ask what is the meaning of this plating code MFZn 8 Cr3 (the no. "8" and "Cr3")? Thanks in advance.

Enelia Puma
- Sta. Rosa Laguna, Philippines

A. Hi Puma ,

'MFZn8Cr3' means:

Zn - Zinc plating
8 - Thickness 8 microns
Cr3 - Trivalent Chromate Passivation

Surya Narayana
Process Engineer - Tumkur , Karnataka , INDIA.

Q. I heve this spec Plating MFZn8-a3-Cr,
and need you to tell me about this. Thanks.

Jose Torres
- Ramos Arizpe Coahuila Mexico