How to color aluminum for jewelry purposes

++++

Q. I'm a student at Massachusetts College of Art, I'm in the metals department, and right know I'm experimenting on making jewelry with sheet aluminum because its a really light material, and I found a place that sells it really cheap. I made a couple of rings which I really like but I want to learn how to color them. Just to try out a new technique and also because I like color. thanks!

Alexia Cohen
Student for Fine art Metals - Boston, Massachusetts

++++

A. Hi, Alexia.

Coloring of aluminum is done by anodizing it, dyeing it while the anodized film is still open and porous, and then sealing it. Best of luck.

++++

A. You can color aluminum by oxidation. Electroless, and not going into anodizing. Since your items are for jewelry it would be too expensive to color it by anodizing.

Barry Umacob
- Philippines

I'm interested in Barry's ideas for electroless oxidation. But I can't agree that anodizing is too expensive for jewelry because it's used for countless inexpensive items including arrows, colorful coat hangers, knitting needles, etc.

++++

A. Cohen
In a glass tumbler make an anodising bath with sulphuric acid the same strength as battery acid. Hang your aluminum jewelry, after thoroughly cleaning with lye solution and washing. Connect this to +ive of battery chargeramazoninfo. Hang another aluminum plate in solution and connect to -ive terminal of charger. Let current flow for about ten minutes. Make sure the solution is not hot (55° F)

No other metal other than aluminum in the acid. Take out, wash, and put in colour solution in water to absorb the colour 30 minutes. Take out and put in boiling water to seal the colour by changing the crystal structure of aluminum oxide. Take out and cool before you sell it. Good luck

opinder singh
hobbyist - Windsor, Ontario, Canada

++++

Please pay very close attention to the last 2 words of Opinder's advice ... you'll need it!

anodizer - Boise, Idaho

What do you use as a red coloring agent?

Marlene Feeley
- Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Hi, Marlene.

You use red anodizing dye available from such suppliers as US Specialty Color. If you don't need professional quality results, and are just playing around, you can use red fabric dye like RIT =>

It would not shock me to find that even red food dye might work for a little while. But none may be colorfast in sunlight. Good luck.

RIT Dyes