POLISHED ALUMINUM CLEARCOAT SECRET

Some clearcoating solutions (adv.) pointer     

+++

I am inquiring about polished aluminum, specifically the polished engine case pieces of 1970s motorcycles. I like to fix up these bikes as a hobby. My problem is identifying the clearcoat applied to these polished aluminum pieces. The clearcoat is so unobtrusive that a lot of enthusiasts do not realize it is there. In some cases the original Japanese factory applied clearcoat has turned to a yellowish color. Commercially available "Aluminum Clearcoat" products have proven unsatisfactory. What is the secret to coating polished aluminum with an extremely clear, long lasting protective application?

Many thanks,

Michael Waugh
- Decatur, Alabama

++++++

I am trying to find the best way to keep the aluminum parts on my motorcycle their mirror finish a long time and make them EASY to clean. I have tried many different things and I'm now ready to do whatever it takes to make them look show quality but very easy to maintain. I have heard of people using UV resistant clear coats. Any recommendations?

Joe Mergl
polisher - New Jersey

++++++

Hello Joe; hello Michael.

Remember that there are countless grades of aluminum, and some are good for clearcoating while others aren't. If it was originally clearcoated or clear anodized, it's probably a good alloy for brightness, but if you stripped paint off of it, it's probably an alloy that wasn't intended to retain brightness.

It isn't easy picking a clearcoat either. If one coating was manifestly superior to the others in broad ways over a broad spectrum of conditions, the other 999 would have been off the market in short order :-)

Bright dipping plus anodizing isn't for the do-it-yourselfer, but it may be what was done on those bikes originally, and is available from plating/anodizing shops. Good luck.

+++++++ POR-15 Glistenamazoninfo, amazing stuff.
you can buy it online too, it's pricey but worth it. Clear powder coating can be good too, but its can be too thick of a coating sometimes.

R Malm
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

The POR-15 Glisten PC has worked VERY well for my polished and brushed aluminum pieces. Is is very durable.

Understand, it is not 100% clear, so the metal takes on an ever-so-slight haze.

Adam

Adam Streubel
- Appleton, Wisconsin

I've been researching this for a while. I've tried the Glisten PC --^, and yes it does add a haze. It's also prone to runs.

I've heard raves about Permalac and Imeron. Eastwood has Diamond Clear.

VHT is said to have a good clear (VHT Clear Coatamazoninfo), and then there's always Zoopseal.

I'm looking to clear coat some polished brass, and will likely go with the Permalac for that. We'll see how it goes.

Adam Streubel
- Appleton, Wisconsin

----
Ed. note: According to a plausible posting on www.svtperformance.com, ZoopSeal no longer exists, and its inventor replaced it with ShineSeal [link is to product info on Amazon].

Por-15 Glisten Clearcoat

I used a product called Everbrite on my polished aluminum valve covers, applies easily, no runs, & has held up very well. I have no affiliation w/them, just great results.
Fred

Fred Ryder
- Haines City, Florida