Muriatic acid for cleaning sea shells

++

I was told I could clean the film off of sea shells with muric acid. I have had no luck in finding this product. Hardware stores try to sell me muriatic acid, or tell me there is no such thing. In which "field" do I search for this item? Someone said maybe jewelers or construction.

Any info appreciated, Aloha!

Betty West
West Art - Kaunakakai, Hawaii, U.S.A

First of four simultaneous responses -- ++

I've never heard of muric acid and strongly suspect it's just a corruption of the spelling for muriatic acidamazoninfo. I don't know anything about seashell cleaning and am not implying that muriatic acid is appropriate for cleaning the film off of them. If it is, I'm sure you need to dilute it tremendously to not destroy them.

Second of four simultaneous responses -- ++

Muriatic is the proper term for the acid you are looking for. The word "muric" is a mispronunciation. Yes, muriatic acid will remove the film from seashells - but also will consume the shell in the process. Muriatic acid (chemical symbol HCl) is an excellent dissolver of calcium - the major component of seashells. A commercial product available in stores for removing calcium, lime, and rust stains is called CLRamazoninfo (see the similarity?). I would try a good household cleaner before trying something as aggressive as muriatic acid (also called hydrochloric acid).

Dan Brewer
chemical process supplier - Gurnee, Illinois

Third of four simultaneous responses -- ++

Having never heard of Muric Acid, I did a quick web search in case my decades in chemistry and metallurgy had somehow missed such a substance. Each of the hundred or so hits that were sensible, all described situations where the substance being discussed was assuredly Muriatic Acid (a common name for slightly impure Hydrochloric Acid). I would expect this would dissolve the seashells, with much fizzing, as well as any film or deposit that was on the shells.

Bill Reynolds
   consultant metallurgist
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

It is this website's profoundly sad
duty to relate the news that Bill
passed away on Jan. 29, 2010.

Fourth of four simultaneous responses -- ++

They are probably referring to Muriatic Acid. Dilute Muriatic Acid is usually available in paint stores since it is frequently used to condition concrete for painting.

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York

++

Hi Betty!

I think that someone meant to say muriatic and not muric.

For more info on this acid, have a gander in the archives at # 12044 (asking about hydrochloric acid formula). There's a lot of extraneous info on those responses which isn't relevant but some useful info, too.... And if you are a dawg lover, you'd like it.

Or go and have a look at 13393 ... where there is a far better answer than mine ... but, you did ask about an acid, didn't you!

Expert advice on chemicals from a sea shell collector! Cheers!

freeman newton portrait Freeman Newton
- White Rock, British Columbia, Canada

freeman newton died

+++++++

Many years ago my parents owned what was then called a "produce station" where we bought various items from local farmers and the re-sold them to a wholesaler. In the process we bought cream from dairy farmers. To test for butterfat content muriatic acid was used. Believe me you don't want to use it to clean sea shells. It is super corrosive and dangerous to your health.

After many years of scuba diving and much help from experienced shell collectors a much better alternative is COMMON HOUSEHOLD BLEACH. Take a large metal or porcelain container and mix up a diluted batch of household bleach and plain water. Submerge your shells in this solution for approximately a week. At the end of this time you should be able to take a wooden toothpick and easily remove the calcium deposits; they will be like putty in texture! Large, obviously older deposits, may have to be resoaked in this solution. To collect shells without holes (made to remove the contents of the shell) place the intact shell on the ground (meat side down) mound dirt up around the edges and leave it there for a month or two; summer time is best. Ants will eat the meat out of the inside during this period; then place it in your bleach solution for a week or so to remove any of the residue and the odor. Wallah....you have a trophy.
(Remember: In most places in the world it is illegal to collect these shells. You have to experiment with the bleach solution to get the correct dilution.)

Edward Zeigler
Marketing Consulting - Humboldt, Kansas USA

If your looking for muriatic acid go to a pool supply store they carry it there. Lupe

Lupe Pedraza
- Pinetop, Arizona