Preparing sea shells for crafts or display

Q. I've read comments about polishing/cleaning sea shells including "buffing" with a material from a lapidary supplier. I'm trying to clean numerous shells, many are fragile (mussels, moonshells, etc.) and I know they would not do well in a tumbler. Could you comment about how to use the "chemical" in a hands-on approach?

It appears that the surface of our shells is calcium, salt, etc. We can purchase commercial sea shells that are cleaned to the natural color, but we want to clean the ones we find.

Geri Sera
- Nanaimo, BC, Canada

A. Geri:

In addition to selling chemicals to the metals industry, I am a seashell collector. We collect and clean thousands of seashells. If you want to discuss this further, I suggest that you

Visit shelllovers.cjb.net/cleaning.htm rather than continue on this forum.

There really are not people on this forum that have chemicals for cleaning shells. It depends a lot on what you plan to do with the seashells and what you want them to look like. Normal shell cleaning consists of descaling with diluted bleach, followed by cleaning and then putting a light mineral oil or similar material on the surface to bring out the color. Other chemical cleaning is usually injurious to the surface.

Lee Kremer

Q. I'm an art therapist, and didn't care much about sea shells till now. 4 months ago I started a treatment with a child of 10 years old, and the only way to start a dialogue with him was by sea shells. So I began to collect them, to read books about them - because this child asks many questions about them - and was fascinated with this new world. He himself started his own collection. Our question is: how come the shells that we buy are so bright and "clean"? is there any way we can do it in my clinic? I appreciate your reply, thanks.

Aliza Galkin
art therapist - Moshav Amikam, D. N. Menashe, Israel

A. The reason that the shell you buy are bright and shiny is probably because (depending on the species) it was collected live and still in good condition. After a shell has been on the beach for awhile it very quickly erodes and loses its luster. If the shell is shiny inside but not on the outside it could be coated with deposits that can be removed with bleach or similar material, then coated with a light mineral oil or baby oil to bring out the colors. It is often necessary to pick off thick deposits or remove them ultrasonically.

Lee Kremer

Q. Well, I too have recently returned from the Bahamas and we found a conch shell while snorkeling. We have gotten the meat removed, while in Bahamas, and a local told me to soak it in water and bleach... most of the debris are gone but it now has a white film on it. What do I do next to finish cleaning it?

Brian Peterson
army - Fayetteville, North Carolina

Q. I have been trying to find out how to polish sea shells. I have read various sites where it is suggested that you use a tumbler. I did not want to invest that much money into the effort. I was told that once the shell was soaked in diluted bleach water, I could polish it with a rag and car compound, and then to seal it with clear fingernail polish. Has anyone used this technique and how has it worked?

Linda Riley
- Virginia Beach, Virginia

A. I've also been experimenting with sea shell cleaning. I discovered the film left on the shell from the bleach, so I soaked one type, an oyster shell, in vinegar for a short period and it turned out great!

Chris Feemster
- Port Orchard, Washington

++++++

Q. I have tried the mineral oil on my shells with good results initially but after the oil soaks in, the color turns back the way it was. Which is a whitish color. Is there something else I could use that would not soak in as much? Or do I need to soak longer in vinegar or bleach?

Criss Helms
- Capitola, California

++++++

Q. I have oyster shells that I would like to re-use in cooking: for various dishes served on the half shell, so I'm trying to get them as odor-free as possible. So far I've scrubbed them with salt and vinegar, boiled them, soaked them in vinegar water, scrubbed with baking sodaamazoninfo. They still have an odor. If I bleach them, will they still be usable as food containers? Has anyone else done this?

Carolyn V Jones
- Baltimore, Maryland

+++++++

Q. I am making crafts using shells. They have rust on them. Can you please tell me how to remove the rust and how to add luster to the shell?

Anitdeleted
- Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

+++++++

A. I collect fresh water muscles to use the shells in jewelry making and carving. I have a method of cleaning and polishing that works very well, but it is time consuming and a bit of a chore. And I have heard a method that I will explain and then hopefully try when I get the materials. With the river or clam shells I clean then as well as I can with soap and water. Then I usually use a Dremelamazoninfo to cut them into the shape I want. After that I use 600 grit waterproof sandpaper to polish the outside and inside of the shell. I polish or sand them underwater and this works very good to bring out the shine. After they are smoothed by the sandpaper I take a dremel buffing pad and some jewelers rough(very little as it can stain the mother of pearl. And buff it to a very high gloss finish. This brings out more color than you would ever imagine there was in a simple river clam shell. But it does take a toll on your fingers. Another method I've heard involves muriatic acidamazoninfo -- The kind of stuff you get to clean your cement floors prior to sealing them...Garages and stuff. You use rubber protective glovesamazoninfo and dip the shell in the acid. The acid quickly eats away anything on the surface of the shell. A few seconds for smaller shells would be more than enough. This is how they get abalone so shiny so it should work on other shells as well. Rinse thoroughly with tap water and rub thoroughly with a towel it should be nice and shiny....However I have not tried this yet so do not do it if your shell is precious or a great find try it on broken not so perfect shells first something you would not be disappointed to lose. I intend to try this the next time I get to the department store. Good luck if you beat me to it.

Michael D Stoner
- Sioux Falls, South Dakota

+++++++

Q. I have collected several shells, from the Great Lakes. I wanted to try to make into jewelry, but don't think they can handle a tumbler. How do you polish them.

Kristi Loving
- Redford, Michigan

Q. While vacationing in St Lucia, we purchased a freshly caught conch from a beach vendor.
The meat had already been removed, and he descaled it for us, but it needs to be deodorized.
I have had it soaking in, first, clean water, and then switched over to baking soda in the water in an effort to rid it of the smell, but to no avail as yet.
Can anyone please recommend the best way to de-stink the shell?
If bleach is to be used, what is the best measurement to observe?

Thanks in advance!
Kim

Kim McMillan
- Burlington, Ontario, Canada

A. We have found from the locals here on the Island the best way to rid a shell of the smell is to place it by an ant hill and the ants will eat any remnants left in the shell. Our conch shells come back from the ant hills odor free and ready for the shelf.

Greg Snider
- Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Q. I have several sea oyster shells that I am wondering how to not only get the smell out of them, but, to also get the beautiful mother of pearl. I have soaked them in bleach water now twice, but, they still have the smell. How do I get the outside of the shell off without ruining the mother of pearl?

Kathy Sevilla
- Clinchco, Virginia

A. You must be very careful using muriatic acid to clean your shells, as it will dissolve them if left in it for very long.
You must dunk the shells in then take it out and rinse in clean water and do this until the desired affect is reached. Real thin shells will dissolve very quickly. Soaking in 50/50 bleach water for 24 hours will remove most stains and disinfect the shells, then rinse well in clear water, then use Lime-away and a scrub brush to finish cleaning. A very high polish can be achieved by using a fine grade of waterproof sandpaper and sanding under water.

Jim Halliwell
- Dome Valley, Arizona

A. Hi there, according to what I have read dilute ammonia is the way to go to clean shells especially to take the brown outside off pearl shells. I have just found a gorgeous woven island clutch bag decorated with a cleaned abalone. It is stunning.

Before you could go to the shop and buy ammonia, urine, animal or human, was the substance of choice.

This free substance was also incredibly useful in other processes such as dyeing. Dilute ammonia and certain types of lichen produce stunning dyes.

Frances Winters
- Sydney NSW Australia

A. I have made several pieces of art work with shells and the quickest, cheapest and successful I have been at making shells shiny is by using Silicone Spray which you can purchased at a hardware store for about $5 per can.

I hope this helps

Steven Newland
- New Zealand

Q. I have a giant Tridacna shell that needs some attention. I'm not concerned with the exterior, but would like to clean and polish the interior. It's too large to hold up to a buffing wheel. It has possibilities to be quite handsome if it were cleaned and polished. All I've ever done to it is wash with a dilute bleach/water solution, and a stiff brush. It looks clean, but is kind of dull.

Gary Miller
Hobbyist - Ilwaco, Washington, USA

A. Good day Gary.

I have no idea what a Tridacna sea shell looks like, I'm sure it must be impressive,because you do see the beauty of it.
You might try a very fine pumice with water to remove any rough features, a good water rinse, and apply a clear lacquer or similar to give the porous surface a sleek finish, thereby giving it some measure of reflectivity.
I tried to preserve corals myself while snorkeling in the Caribbean, and after cleaning, drying (removing the live organism itself), these corals today are quite impressive.
Hope this helps.

Eric Bogner
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A. I'm going to guess that you want to polish the thing to a high shine. I'd suggest wet sanding with 500-800 grit and work down in grits to 1200-2000. Then use an automotive buffing wheel with a very fine polish (5 Micron alumina and diatomaceous earth would be my suggestion, mix in a 2:5 ratio with water).

Marc Banks
Blacksmith - Boone, North Carolina, USA

A. If you are looking to remove the crust that forms on Sea shells, use a wire brush attachment on a Dremel. Finish with a coat of minerial oil.

You should know I am not a professional but I bring home shells every year from Florida and this works well with conchs.

Rich Benson
- Richmond Hill, Georgia, USA