Deprecated page alert!
The page you are viewing is being served by
The below was a proposed technical program for an event and may not represent the final program, nor the contents of the Conference Proceedings for that event. If you are seeking a particular paper, contact the event's sponsor to make sure it is an actual part of their Conference Proceedings before ordering them.
14th World Congress & Exposition
International Convention Centre
10, 11 & 12 September 1996
INTERFINISH Technical Programme
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 10 1996
- Opening Ceremony followed by Plenary Lecture - A general view, Nicholas V Scheele Chairman & Chief Executive, Jaguar Cars Ltd
Tuesday AM - 4 concurrent sessions
- Paint Technology - 1
- Chairman: J Bernie
- Are we aiming at the right thing?
- R Pritchett, PRA (UK)
- Pairlt shop in the year 2000
- M Cowley, Ad-Qual (UK)
- Life cycle engineering of painting technologies - Tool for optimisation and decision making.
- M Harsh, Institute forPolymer Testing and Polymer Science, University of Stuttgart (Genmany)
- Chromium free pre-treatment prior to painting.
- K Brown, Brent Europe (UK)
- Engineering Coatings -1
- Chairman: Dr D R Gabe
- Investigation of wear in electrodeposited chromium coatings.
- N Martyak, K Newby, J McCaskie, Atotech (USA)
- Characteristics of electrodeposited chromium.
- M El-Sharif, C Chisholm, Glasgow Caledonian University
- The role of formic acid and methanol on speciation deposition rate and quality in the electrodeposition of chromium from trivalent electrolytes.
- S Ibrahim, A Watson, University of Paisley (UK) D Gawne, South Bank University (UK)
- Comparison of physico-chemical properties of Cr, Ni-P, Ni-Mo, Ni -W- P and Mn-Zn alloys coatings.
- T Agladze, S Bagaev, D Gabe, V Kudryavtsev, Ch Raub, S Schachameyer, N Spyrelis, T Tsupak. (Seven Universities World wide)
- Zinc Alloys -1
- Chairman: Dr G D Wilcox
- Advances in replacements for cadmium plating in aerospace applications.
- K Baldwin, C Smith, Defence Research Agency (UK)
- The present status of zinc-nickel alloy coatings.
- S Watson, Nickel Development Institute (Canada)
- Corrosion resistance of zinc alloy coated steel in construction industly environments.
- N Short, J K Dennis, Aston University (UK)
- Corrosion resistance of the plated Zn-Co alloy coating.
- T Zhenmi, Z Jingshuang, Y Zhelong, A Maozhong, L Wenliang,
Harbin Institute of Technology (China)
- Management and Control -1
- Chairman: I R Christie
- Plating in a barrel, how does it work? A study of local mass transfer and current density distributions in a barrel.
- L Schuster, A Delvaux, M Degrez University Libre de Bruxelles (Belgium)
- Fully automatic on-line and off-line analysis for the plating industry.
- S Markl, G Strube, Max Schloetter (Gerrnany)
- Automatic control of deposited mass in hot dip galvanising.
- O Jacobs, University of Oxford (UK)
- Statistical process control in anodising using a personal computer.
- A W Brace, Consultant (UK)
Tuesday PM - 4 concurrent sessions
- Paint Technology - 2
- Chairman: Dr A C Hart
- The challenge of powder coating car bodies.
- H Hofler, Gemma Volstatic (Switzerland)
- Advances in powder coating technology for automotive applications.
- G Bell, Courtaulds Coatings (UK)
- Performance of coated metal roofings and claddings.
- MOliver, BntishBoardofAgre'ment (UK)
- Comparison of the multilayer polyolefin based system for the external protection of pipelines.
- P Perret, ElfAtochem (France)
- Corrosion protection of pipes, fittings and component pieces of water treatment and pumping stations.
- J Pey, ElfAtochem (France)
- The use of radiant heat transfer in the curing of coating on complex geometrics and problematic substrates.
- R Hampshire, Eastem Electricity (UK)
- Session 6
- Engineering Coatings - 2
- Chairman: B Wilson
- ACD deposition of diamond composites: relationship between phase composition and addition of surfactants.
- B Bozzini, G Giovannelli, F Ferrari, G Arman, G Bollini, L Nobili, P Cavallotti. Politecnico di Milano (Italy)
- Electrodeposition of composite layers consisting of inert inclusions in a metal matrix.
- K Helle, Akzo (NL), F Walsh, Universityof Portsmouth
- Metal-oil composite plating for self lubricating bearings.
- S Matsumoto, S Jomjunyong, M Fujita Institute of Technology (Japan)
- The effect of brush plating on the structure and wear properties of electrodeposits.
- J Gering, Institute of Materials (Gemmany), J P G Farr, University of Bimmingham (UK)
- Corrosion and wear protective composition modulated alloy coatings based on ternary Ni-P-X alloys.
- P Leisner, M Benzon, L Christoffersen, UniversityofDenmark
(Denmark), C Panagopoulos, V Papachristos, S Katsikis,
University of Athens (Greece)
- Corrosion behaviour of zirconium boron nitride and zirconium boride multilayer coated steels.
M Urgen, A Cakir, O Eryilmaz, University of Istanbul
(Turkey), C Mitterer, Institute of Metals (Austria)
- Session 7
- Zinc Alloys - 2
- Chairman: Dr J K Dennis
- Corrosion behaviour and mechanical properties of plated Zn-alloys.
- W Paatsch, W Kautek, M Sahre, Institute of Materials
- Electrodeposition and corrosion properties of zinc composite coatings.
- D Sneddon, M El-Sharif, C Chisholm, Glasgow Caledonian University (UK)
- Compositionally modulated zinc alloy coatings for corrosion protection.
- G Chawa, G Wilcox, D Gabe, Loughborough University of Technology (UK)
- Zn-Mn alloy electrodeposition on steel.
- B Bozzini, G Bollini, P Cavallotti, Politecnico di Milano
(Italy) F Pavan, Pirelli (Italy)
- Functional composite zinc electrodeposition.
- A Sachian, M Blidariu, E Roman, C Raducanu ICTCM
- Plating from alkaline cyanide-free zincate baths.
- T Pearson, E Long, Wm Canning Ltd (UK)
- Management and Control - 2
- Chairman: Dr D N Layton
- Multinational manufacturing giants to adopt QS 9000 type industry specific quality standard.
- P Pilplani, TTX Environmental (USA)
- Trends in electroplating in Japan.
- T Hayashi, University of Osaka (Japan)
- Quality finishing starts with Ser-Ductor agitation.
- C Reichert, Serfilco (USA)
- The internet for INTERFINISH.
- K Umeda, K Kaminaga, Y Fukada, T Sato, Shibaura Technical University (Japan)
- The capability of industrial surface finishing processes to meet specifications.
- R Berglund, Swedish Institute of Production Engineering Research (Sweden)
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11 1996
Wednesday AM - 4 concurrent sessions
- Paint Technology - 3
- Chairman: D Dasgupta
- New water based recyclable paint system.
- D Webber, Kemira Coatings (UK)
- Autophoretic coatings chemicals: a new technology to Europe.
- A Thomas, Henkel Metal Chemicals (Germany)
- An expert system approach to environmentally friendly finishing.
- R Kennedy, PRA (UK)
- 'Intelligent paint'.
- N Whitehouse, A Doroszkowski, PRA (UK)
- Coatings for aero engine application.
- B Norton, Indestructible Paint (UK)
- Development and application of coil coated steel.
- B Jeffs, British Steel Strip Products (UK)
- Academic Contributions -1
- Chairman: Dr J P G Farr
- Depth profile of composition in layered deposits with dual current pulses.
- K Hosokawa, Y Tsuru, N Misumi, M Matsunaga, Kyushu Institute of Technology (Japan)
- Characterisation of copper oxide layers by electrochemical methods,
- O Forsen, P Pesonen, J Aromaa, Helsinki University of
Technology (Finland) T Suortti Outokumpu Research
- The oscillation of an internal strain in Ni deposits under PR electrolysis.
- Y Tsura, T Tamai, K Hosokawa, Kyushu Institute of
- Electrochemical and spectroscopic studies of the influence of thiourea on the rate of copper deposition from an acid sulphate solution.
- S Campbell, E Farndon, F Walsh, University of Portsmouth
(UK) M Kalaji, University of Wales (UK)
- Kinetics of electrodeposition and properties of nickel-tungsten alloys.
- N Atanossov, M Bratoeva, Bulgarian Academy of
- Positron annihilation as a tool for characterising anodic layers.
- L Palffy, Coil Anodising and Coating (Belgium); H Schut, IRI (NL), D Segers, C Dauwe, T Hoecke. RUG
- Metal Spraying
- Chairman: Dr D R Eastham
- Thermal spraying -The future.
- K Harrison, Sulzer Metco (UK)
- Plasma spray deposition and engineering applications of magnesium hydroxide - polyamide composite coatings.
- Y Bao, D Gawne, South Bank University (UK)
- The microstructure of WC-Co coatings produced by HVOF spraying with liquid fuel.
- W Coulson, S Harris, University of Nottingham (UK)
- Vacuum plasma spraying.
- K Scott, AEA Technology (UK)
- The influence of pretreatment on the adhesion of ceramic coatings on steel.
- D Gawne, B Griffiths, G Dong, South Bank University
- Automotive coatings
- Chairman: Dr J Edwards
- Decorative electroplating of plastics.
- A Hart Nickel Development InsUtute (UK)
- New methods of electroless plating and direct electroplating of plastics.
- A Vaskelis, E Norkus, G Rozovskis, J Vinkevicius, Institute of Chemistry (Lithuania)
- Corrosion resistance of the different coated steels for fuel tanks.
- L Storojeva, I P Bardin Central Research Institute
- The corrosion resistance of Al-Mn alloy electroplated steel sheet.
- K Hirayama, J Uchida, A Shibuya, Sumitomo Metal Industries
- Some surface factors that affect the spot welding of aluminium.
- M Thornton, C Newton, B Keay, P Sheasby, Alcan International (UK) J Evans, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (UK)
Wednesday PM - 4 concurrent sessions
- Autocatalytic Deposition
- Chairman: T Sato
- Electroless nickel plating of magnesium.
- W Fairweather, PMD (UK) Ltd (UK)
- The use of electroless nickel on automotive components.
- L Wing, Enthone-OMI (USA)
- Electrochemical techniques for the evaluation of porosity and corrosion rate for electroless nickel deposits on steel.
- C Kerr, D Barker, F Walsh, University of Portsmouth
- Some properties of electroless Ni-P, Co-P, and Ni-Co-P deposits.
- J P G Farr, A Noshahi, University of Birmingham
- New challenges for electroless plating technologies.
- J Hajdu, Enthone-OMI (USA)
- Academic Contributions - 2
- Chairman: Dr V Kurdryartsev
- The coatings on nickel basis from low concentrated colloid-electrolytes.
- L Degtjar, B Dubov, I Kudrjavtzeva, F Kukos, State
Technical University of Novocherkassk ~Russia)
- Composite coatings - new insights leading to improved process control.
- J Celis, J Fransaer, Katholieke University of Leuven
- High speed electroplating in low concentrated colloid-electrolyte baths.
- I Kudrjavtzeva, State University of Novocherkassk
- Optimisation of the process of metal electrodeposition on highly porous cellular materials.
- V Kichigin, V Kamelin, V Antsiferov, O Koshcheev, Perm University (Russia)
- Microwave plasma enhanced CVD for high rate coatings of silicon oxide.
- O Takai, T Honjo, Nagoya University (Japan)
- Transparent water repellent films contained fluoro-alkyl functions bv RF Plasma enhanced CVD.
- A Hozumi, H Sekoguchi, N Sugimoto, O Takai, Nagoya University (Japan)
- Aluminium Finishing
- Chairman: Dr A W Brace
- Improvements in the pretreatment of aluminium as a substrate for electrodeposition.
- T Pearson, S Wake, W Canning (UK)
- Mechanical etching of aluminium extruded products: an attractive and ecological process.
- W Barba, Italtecno (Italy)
- Surface treatments for enhanced wear resistance of aluminium.
- G Bokmark, IVF G Holmborn, L Granlund, IMC P Persson, Celcius J Siden, Ytema (Sweden)
- Surface treatment of aluminium foam.
- K Kaminaga, K Toyoda, T Sato, Shibaura Technical University
- Electrocolour and other colours, titration, curves and electrolytic colouring bath for anodized aluminium.
- X Ventura, L C Syteme (Spain)
- Structural characterisation of nickel phosphorus cadmium coatings on aluminium connectors.
- N Martyak, J McCaskie Atotech (USA) W Richtering, M Larondelle, Atotech (Germany)
- Environment - 1
- Chairman: Dr J P Celis
- Life after 1,1,1-trichloroethane - Options in vapour degreasing.
- G Howe, ICI Cleaning (UK)
- Assessment of surface cleanliness for metal surfaces using an electrochemical technique.
- M Baumgartner, Ch Raub, FEM (Germany) D Gabe,
Loughborough University of Technology (UK)
- Ultrasonic aqueous cleaning systems for the metal finishing industry.
- W Lambert, Kerry Ultrasonics (UK)
- 'ACT-1' inerted alcohol based precision cleaning system.
- S Henly, Layton Engineering Ltd (UK)
- A new system for stainless drying of electroplated parts. The pulse blow drying process.
- A Mobius, LPW (Germany)
- Flameless thermal oxidation for odour control.
- J Young, D Wrightl Thermatrix (UK)
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12 1996
Thursday AM - 4 concurrent sessions
- Session 17
- Environment - 2
- Chairman: Dr Muller
- A new approach to effluent treatment for the finishing industry.
- R Raiter, Adas Pty Ltd (Australia)
- The development of a novel electrochemical reactor for the removal and recovery of metals from waste streams.
- I Dalrymple, S Northcote, J Sutherland,EA Technology
- Characteristics of micro-filters made of anodic oxide films of aluminium.
- S Hoshino, K Suzuki, K Nakane, Institute of Technology
- Environmentally friendly stainless steel pickling.
- N Sanders, Solvay Interox (UK)
- Control of nickel emission in jewellery and related items.
- R Green, J Sargent, Engelhard-CLAL (UK)
- Alternatives for nickel in electroplating processes
- F Simon, Degussa (Germany)
- Electronics - 1
- Chairman: Miss A H Chapman
- Optimising distribution in barrel gold plating.
- N Sawyer, ITT Cannon W Fairweather PMD (UK) Ltd
- Formation of cobalt cyanide complexes in hard acid gold baths,
- R Green, T Jones, Engelhard-CLAL (UK)
- Testing of bright copper plating by rotating-cone electrode in PCB production.
- D Reichenbach, Ericsson-Nikola Tesla (Croatia)
- Studies on the electrodeposition of ternary copper- zinc-tin alloys.
- W Miu, J Ross, F Lau, B Fong, Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Hong Kong)
- Lead free tin alloys as substitutes for tin-lead alloy plating.
- M Jordan, Max Schloetter (Germany)
- Chairman: R Parkinson
- Electroforming - a largely unrecognised but expanding vital industry.
- S Watson, A Hart, Nickel Development Institute (Canada)
- Precision electroforming using disposable plastic masters.
- C Barnes, T Crichton, Gilleffe Management (UK)
- Electroplated nickel in the manufacture of diamond tools.
- C Addison, 3M Ltd (UK)
- Electrodepositionof alloys:improvementof properties in respect to electroforming.
- H Liebscher, W Muller, E Wachsmuth, Technical University, Limenau (Germany)
- Recent developments of electroforming with precious metals for jewellery.
- F Simon, Degussa (Germany)
- Conversion Coatings -1
- Chairman: Dr W Paatsch
- Relationship in electrochemical properties, microstructure, industrial performance and salt spray resistance of passivators for white rusting of galvanised surfaces.
- D Singh, B Gaur, A Dey, National Metallurgical Laboratory
- Structure of zinc chromate coatings.
- N Martyak, J McCaskie, Atotech (USA) T Hulsmann, D Schroer, Atotech (Germany)
- Rare earth conversion coatings - A status report.
- A Hughes, K Nelson, CSIRO (Australia)
- Chromium free metal pretreatment processes.
- W Roland, Henkel (Germany)
- Non-chromate conversion coating treatments for electrodeposited zinc-nickel alloys.
- J Wharton, G Wilcox, Loughborough University of Technology
K Baldwin, Defence Research Agency (UK)
- Study of conversion coatings on zinc deposition obtained from low pollution solutions,
- L Roman, M Blidariu, C Cristescu, ICTCM E Roman,
Chemical Research Institute (Romania
Thursday PM - 4 concurrent sessions
- Late Papers
- Details to be announced at conference
- Session 22
- Electronics - 2
- Chairman: W Fairweather
- A new approach for the manufacturing of miniaturised pattern coils.
- T Daenen, M Hout, E Loenen, Philips (NL)
- Direct nickel plating on aluminium substrate for microbump formation.
- H Honma, H Watanabe, T Fujinami, Kanto Gakiun University
- Development of silver-cadmium alloy plating for electrical contact applications.
- M Mocofan, S Ivascun, M Preda, University of Craiova
- Coinage Metals
- Chairman: TBA
- Copper plating plant technology for coinage process design for waste minimisation.
- J D C Hemsley, Enthone-OMI. (UK)
- Technical challenges in the production of barrel plated coinage.
- M Rusco, Sherrit Inc (Canada)
- A novel chromising method for coinage applications.
- A Kempster, Diffusion Alloys (UK) P Hatherley, Royal Mint (UK)
- Conversion Coatings - 2
- Chairman: L D Brown
- Reactive coating metal pretreatment technology - The future?
- R Bridger, Walterisation (UK)
- Growing procedure for manganese-type chemical conversion coating for magnesium alloys and their adhesion with paint film.
- M Takaya, Chiba Institute of Technology (Japan)
- Molybdate based passivation of zinc.
- P Tang, G Neilsen, P Moller, Technical University of
16.00 CLOSING CEREMONY - Presentation of Awards
- Preview of INTERFINISH 2000