Platinum Plating on Niobium Anode

(2001)

Thanks for your long-running support to us, as a patronage. We are expecting the same in the future too. Kindly clarify the following:

We are a manufacturer of platinised titanium anodes. With our past experience, we like to step forward our activities to the process of platinum plating on NIOBIUM. However, we are interested to know about the procedure of pre treatment (surface preparation, etching, surface cleaning) of niobium mesh and sheet, before plating.

For titanium, we conduct the following pre treatment (surface preparation):

1. Shot Blasting

2. Etching with HCl mix.

3. Cleaning with DM water.

Like the above procedure, we want to do the surface preparation of niobium. Kindly advise us the procedure please.

Sealen
- Chennai, India

(2001)

Hi fellows,

I have the same problem of Platinum coating (20 Micron) over Niobium plates (3 mm thick). Whoever can help, how can I repair old plates or make new coating over Niobium plates. I appreciate in advance.

Dr. Seyed Behrooz Ghozati
- Tehran, Iran

We are a research group in arak university and have been working on platinum and palladium coating on titanium rods with various methods of coating sputtering, EGB, Evaporation and electrodeposition, and have been successfully done up to 1.5 micron thickness and good adhesion. Now we are trying to coat platinum on niobium at least up to 10 micron. Could any one help us in this matter?

Alireza Salabat
Arak University - Arak, Iran

(2002)

Dear Sealen and others,

I'd suggest you to look into Patent UK 1253858 CH 527911 and related.

Hope this can be of help to you.

Kind regards,

Peter BRADLEY
- Geneva, Switzerland

-- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread
(2005)

I am a post graduate student working on electrochemistry. I have accidentally removed the thin coating of platinum on niobium, which is my anode for high temperature, high pressure experiments. Can you suggest me the bath composition, current density, temperature and anode required to replate platinum on niobium? I want a matte durable thin deposit, not a shiny one.

thank you very much

Seshachalam Vijayalakshmi
phd student - Singapore