Powder Coating of Zinanneal

(2001)

I am currently searching for a technique in which to apply a type of hard wearing powdercoat type finish to zinanneal. I can not use an oven to bake on paint to my product as the housing contains plastic components that would melt, I have been told that there is some type of product available that is a two part process were as you apply a chemical to the metal to heat up then apply powder.

Hope you can help.

Suzanne Galea
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

(2001)

Suzanne,

I have not heard of the method that you describe. However, there are new technologies in powder coating that may be of interest to you.

Powder coatings can now be cured by UV radiation. This means that you would only have to heat up you workpieces to 100 deg C. This temperature is only to melt the powder and let it start flowing, when this happens the UV initiators within the powder cause the powder to cure. This system is the lowest temperature powder coating available and is already being used in factories with similar problems to you.

Hope this helps.

Drew Devlin
- Lincolnshire, UK